Sign in to follow this  
zachb34

1965 Evinrude 9.5 Hp

I just got one of these in a trade for some old junk, it needs spark plugs a prop and a water pump kit to get running again. It also has a brand new fuel pump. My question is, will it be worth it to fix it up? I already have a brand new 2014 motor for my jon boat so I would probably just sell it for a profit or if it's not worth fixing up maybe keep it for a man cave or sell for parts what would you do?

In good working order, it's worth around $500 to the right buyer. If you can fix it for less, go for it.

If you know how to fix everything yourself, you are only talking a few bucks worth of parts.  Impeller is about $16, plugs about $3 each and can probably find a used prop, and plan on having to do the carb.  If you don't have the skills, then put it on Craigslist for $250 and take $200 if it means making a sale (or what ever you think would give you a nice profit) and let someone else worry about it. 

I just bought a 67 9.5 in like new condition, hasn't been run since 1982, for $300 and started and ran like a charm the second pull on the rope.  I will put a water pump in it because I'm sure it's junk after than many years. 

I know for a fact this is a good motor because it was basically a new motor with very few hours when I rebuilt it in 1982 for the guy that had it.  He dropped it in few inches of water taking it off the boat and didn't realize water a little water had gotten in one cylinder and caused it to freeze up.  He bought him a new, lighter motor and never started that one after he got it back.

If I were to fix it what determines if I get just the impeller kit or the whole water pump kit?

Take it apart. If the o-rings/gasket are still ok, not brittle or falling apart and the inside of the housing is not full of grooves and ware, you should have no problem just replacing the impeller.

Ok thanks I appreciate it