Sign in to follow this  
okbassguy

I Need Help Finding A Good Baitcasting Rod

I need help finding a baitcasting rod around  $100 to pair with my lews tournament mb ill be using this rod for about everything besides deep diving plugs,jigging spoons and A rigs what would be the best choice for me?     -Thanks, okbassguy

How much are you willing to spend

You'll be looking for a medium heavy power rod with a fast action. Length will be up to you with what you feel comfortable with. I'd look into a rod from the St. Croix lineup either a Mojo or Premier.

• Like 1

Fenwick HMG

St. Croix Mojo, Triumph, or Premier

Many of the BPS rods

Lots of options in that price range

Agree MHF of your preferred length for all-around use.  I am partial to Fenwick.  The *** Black is another excellent rod around the $100 mark.  Handle is a bit thin for one-handed casts (for me), but I almost always make 2-handed casts so no problem.  Cabela's Prodigy is also a good rod, and can be had for less when on sale.  No experience with many of the other house brand rods.  Academy Sports Ethos rods get good reviews.   If you could go a little higher (about $20) than i can also recommend a Smoke provided you can find one.  Price on Smoke may drop more after the new model comes out.

I only fish one bait caster. Ugly Stick 7' MH. It does everything, and most important to us sub 10' boat guys, IT TAKES EVERY BIT OF ABUSE YOU THROW AT IT.

(Cheap rod, but darn good rod, lacking in no way)

Your asking a lot from one rod to do everything.  Deep cranks, jigging, a-rig.  The 3 you mentioned you could possibly do 2 well with one(deep cranks and A-rig), jigging you're going to want more sensitive and possibly a stiffer tip where your cranks a more moderate softer action to keep from pulling hooks(which works well for me also for a-rigs).    So with that said since your wanting one rod for all you're going  to have to find something in a MH preferably H Mod/Fast action and that may be able to do both in the 7'3-7'6" range.