Sign in to follow this  
jitterbug127

Abu Cardinal/ Berkley Cherrywood Combo For 5 Bucks New

Is this combo any good? I got one just because it is normally 40 but 10 off and 50% off the 30. It also has a 10 dollar mail in rebate. I am thinking of going tomorrow getting the rest of them just because a rod/reel for 5 bucks is crazy

Sounds good if you're fishing with buddies for fun

Cherrywoods are nice rods. Never used an Abu reel before, but for 5 bucks I'm sure you can't go wrong. If it turns out you don't like it, sell it or give it to somebody. I would pick it up just to get the rod for $5.

I like the cardinal reel. Use mine for wacky rigs and shakey head spooled with 8# fluoro

Where did you find that deal?

For that price why not? It won't be the most refined combo,but for $5 who cares.

Where did you find that deal?

Yeah...I'd like to know, too.

There is a thread on here about the Cherrywood rods.  Based on that thread I would definitely say go for it.  Don't see how you could possibly lose for $5 even if you decided to throw away the reel.  I haven't owned a Cardinal reel in a long, long time.  No idea which one is on that combo, but it should work okay for a few years even if all you use it for is to throw at your buddy's head to wake him up.  :teeth:

• Like 1

Ill do it. Nothing to lose. Always need some catfish gear to beat up

Cardinals are really solid little reels. I have had one on my panfishing/bluegill rod for over 9 years now, and it is still going strong. I don't know if they still manufacture. Them the same way or if they have gone plastic like everything else---- but they used to be great and i assume they still are.

Within it's class, my understanding is that the cherrywood pretty well outperforms everything in the same price range, and even several that cost a bit more.

Cardinal reels aren't bad, 5 bucks for the reel is a deal, plus I hear the rods are solid sticks...sounds like a steal to me.  I've had them in my arsenal not long ago (2 years ago), my last one was just given this season to my brother in law.  Solid reels, I just like the more higher end Shimano reels now. 

I didn't like the rod personally, it felt too whippy. Then again I like heavy power rods for a lot of my fishing.