Ozark_Basser

Some Different Hooks That Fit The Poison Tail Swimjig Mold?

I've really liked the Fred Roumbanis Boom Boom swim jig this year.  So instead of paying 8 bucks or so a pop for something I throw into cover all day, I decided to make my own.  

I don't like the ewg hook that is recommended though.  The blade trailer already gets fish to hit farther back on the bait, so the wide gap in the hook just seems like it will be even worse for hookups.  

Anybody know of any other hooks off of the top of their head that will work for this mold?  I could just buy some and try it out, but I'd rather ask first.  

By the way, for those that like fishing this type of jig, if you mold a wire with a loop end in with the hook it keeps the blade even with the head of the bait much better than if you just use tubing to hold the swivel and blade onto the hook. 

Mustad 32886 and the EC equivalent L3886. The L2724BP is a thinner hook than the other 2 listed. These are round bend hooks. Which cavity (s) are you inquiring about? If you let me know, I can tell you what hook size fits in there when I get home. Also I have a Gami which will fit in there as well. Gamis not sold in store.

• Like 2

All I know is it's the Poison Tail Jig II on TW.  I looked up those round bend Mustad's you recommended. Those have got to work.  Next time I make a big order I'll try them out. Thanks. 

That mold has a 1/2, 3/4 and 1 oz cavities. The hook size that will fit those cavities are as follows

1/2 oz :3/0 and 4/0

3/4 oz : 4/0 and 5/0

1 oz : 4/0 and 5/0

These hook sizes are for #2886 and L3886 hooks.

• Like 1

You don't think I could get a 5/0 in the 1/2 oz? Or did you test it out yourself?

You don't think I could get a 5/0 in the 1/2 oz? Or did you test it out yourself?

I put in a 5/0 hook in the 1/2 oz cavity and it fit in mine. However, my mold is used and has over 1000 pours, so it is very used. I do believe that the hook will fit, but I can't guarantee it as every mold is slightly different and since you will have a new mold, it may be very tight. However you can make it work.

• Like 1

I can fit a 3/0 - 5/0 in the 3/8 oz cavity of a brand new arky mold which recommends a 4/0, so I'd say it will, but I'll just have to see. 

The 1/2 oz cavity on the mold calls out for a 3/0 hook. On almost all of Do-It molds you can go up one size and down one size. Two sizes up is pushing it on a new mold. However you might be lucky and it will go in. Worst case scenario, you will have to file out some aluminum where the hook shank sits. No Bigee.

My mistake. I should have said 4/0.  For some reason, I thought I had previously been using 4/0 instead of 3/0. 

4/0 no problem, and just maybe a 5/0. I found a new mold from my stash of molds, and with a little finesse, a 5/0 will fit. You should be good to go.

• Like 1