Sign in to follow this  
MikeOGNR

What Is My Best Option For T Rig Fishing?

So lately what I have been wondering is what would be my best rod and reel option for Texas Rig worm fishing. The setups I have right now are

1. A Mitchell 300ex spinning reel 5:1 gear ratio on a 7ft medium Ugly Stick rod.

2. A BPS Pro Qualifier 7:1 gear ratio bait caster reel on a 7ft Medium-Heavy Ugly Stick rod.

I mostly fish Berkeley Power worms T rigged with an 1/8oz weight for light wind conditions and 3/16 oz weight for windy conditions

Worms I use are 7in and 10in. I also use Live target Frogs and Field Mice for top water, and those are about 1/2oz-3/4oz in size. Basically those 2 baits are all I use.

My question is which setup of mine would be the best setup for the Texas Rig. 

If you're throwing the 1/8 oz with 7" worms use spinning gear, if you're using a larger weight and the 10" use the baitcaster.

• Like 2

If you're throwing the 1/8 oz with 7" worms use spinning gear, if you're using a larger weight and the 10" use the baitcaster.

X2

Now for fishing roughly 6-10ft is 1/8oz weight good for bottom contact? or should I bump it up. Also if fishing the 10in worm with an 1/8oz weight would you still say use the bait caster or stick to spinning?

Get away with the lightest weight possible. 1/8 oz is fine for that depth. The 10" worm would weigh a tad bit over 1/4 of an oz, so with the 1/8 oz weight you're around 3/8 of an oz. I'd throw that with the baitcaster

• Like 1

Now for fishing roughly 6-10ft is 1/8oz weight good for bottom contact? or should I bump it up. Also if fishing the 10in worm with an 1/8oz weight would you still say use the bait caster or stick to spinning?

No need to bounce up to a quarter! 1/8 is fine, and 1/16 may be better even! The slower that thing falls, the more bites you'll get. Generally, as a rule of thumb, what said above is correct, lightest weight needed to maintain bottom contact. Also, a larger plastic w/more water resistance will fall slower.

You have gotten some good advice on weights, so the only thing I would recommend is to try out some other types of baits. some of my favorites are the berkley kicker frog, KVD magnum dream shot, northland smelt minnow, and even a yamamoto pro senko.

You have gotten some good advice on weights, so the only thing I would recommend is to try out some other types of baits. some of my favorites are the berkley kicker frog, KVD magnum dream shot, northland smelt minnow, and even a yamamoto pro senko.

Ohh I do use a variety of baits for T rigs. Just the majority is the Power Worms, but I also use Strike King Rage Craws, Senkos, and Zoom Lizards.

• Like 1