Sign in to follow this  
Steelhead

Loomis Nrx 852S

I have an opportunity to purchase a NRX 852S for a very good price. Soon as I had this rod in my hand, I was amazed. I own 2 NRX fly rods and they are the finest rods I've fly fished. I own a IMX 782 SJR but this NRX is no doubt a big step up. If I do decide to pick it up I'll be using it for drop shotting, throwing Flukes, Senkos and small swimbaits. I'll be using PP Superslick #15 with #8 flouro. I read somewhere that the knot between the braid and leader will somewhat "hang-up" for a lack of a better word passing through the recoil guides. I'm not sure how much of an issue this would be as I have not actually fished a rod with recoil guides with a braid-flouro set-up. Any input on this or the rod itself?

Good question. Hopefully some NRX owners will be along to comment. I don't own an NRX but right before the season ended built a spinning rod with alconite reduction guides, size 2 recoil fly guides and a size 6 alconite top (has almost the same inner diameter as the recoils but could have gone a size smaller on the recoils). The rod is Layed out in the new guide concept and I paid particular attention to a proper spacing on the runners.

Know what? Many times when I release the bail on the reel and have the bait drop down, it hangs up. This caused me great concern as I spent a great deal of time and effort to put this together.

The reality I made it a point to cast a variety of baits from 1/8 tubes and drop shots to flukes and 5/8 topwaters and the rod never hung up on the cast and cast's great.

Long sorry short if you like the rod and it's a great price, buy it. You can always sell it down the road.

For the past year I've been fishing with a GLX spinning rod with recoil guides.  10# Sufix 832, 8# Abrazx joined with a uni-to-uni knot.  I've never had the knot hang up in the guides.  I fish about a 3 foot leader so the knot is always running through the guides.  No problems.

Yeah there is no good reason besides the price to not have an NRX so if you can find a killer deal do it.  They are great rods, I love mine and I'd have to say that I only appreciate it more as time goes on.