Sign in to follow this  
n8cas4

Powell Max 703S (Mef) Or Dobyns Champ 702Sf (Mlf)

I need a versatile rod that can be used for drop-shot, tubes, grubs, hairjigs

Has anyone fished both? 

The Powell Max 703 is a medium extra fast (with the medium being closer to a medium heavy - so I've read)

or the Dobyns Champ 702sf which is a medium-light fast (and a little extra money - but that's not a huge factor)

Thanks.

I cannot attest to that certain Powell, but I can say Powell is a great rod company. I do think Dobyns makes the better rod, and that rod right there was made for tubes and hairjigs. I'd caution you to look at what weights you are gonna throw and decide if you want the 701sf instead (just a heads up, the 701 is a bit whippier). 

Not to mention Dobyns has a trade up program, so if you do ever want to upgrade to the Extreme, it's at a great price. 

I have almost zero experience with Powell spinning rods except one. That was the diesel medium power spinning rod. It was definetly a stout rod and I'd call it a medium heavy. I do have a lot of experience with Powell casting rods and their power ratings are basically spot on. I own two Dobyns. One is a champ 703 and the other is a champ dx 704. They both seem to be a tad lighter than their power ratings.

I have almost zero experience with Powell spinning rods except one. That was the diesel medium power spinning rod. It was definetly a stout rod and I'd call it a medium heavy. I do have a lot of experience with Powell casting rods and their power ratings are basically spot on. I own two Dobyns. One is a champ 703 and the other is a champ dx 704. They both seem to be a tad lighter than their power ratings.

the new one with cork?

the new one with cork?

No, it was the one with eva grips. Wasn't impressed so it was added to the list of rods that didn't do it for me and sold.

I'm thinking a more stout (medium - medium heavy power / fast action) spinning rod would be good for throwing grubs or tubes, but for the other techniques I listed, a softer and faster tip would work best.  I have the following spinning rods:

a 68mxf legend elite for drop-shot, hair-jigs, wacky rigs

a cus68ma cumara for weightless senkos, grubs, jerkbaits, flukes, tubes - all purpose but a softer tip than the older black cumara - that bothers me a bit

a gloomis shakeyhead 822s - my favorite rod for shakey-heads, sliderheads, dartheads, etc.

My other spinning rods are not my favorites.  I don't use them often

I need more than 3 spinning rods during the spring on tournament days

No, it was the one with eva grips. Wasn't impressed so it was added to the list of rods that didn't do it for me and sold.

hopefully the new gen is better. I want to order a true medium action spinner!