Sign in to follow this  
Topwaterspook

Ice Fishin' Trip

Yesterday I went with seven very experienced Ice anglers. We had eight inches of ice. We drilled around 80 holes and fished from six AM until noon. A grand total of one 14 in. bass was caught. If it wasn't for the breakfast cooked out there and a few sips of bourbon it would have been a total bust.

Must be you were on the wrong lake, or fishing for the wrong fish.

After my wife got home around noon yesterday, I threw on all of my cold weather gear and headed out for an afternoon on the ice.  Drilled three holes, dropped in the Vex, and spotted fish almost immediately.  21' of water with bluegills suspended down about 12'-15'.

On the water at 1:30pm, back in the truck by 4:30pm, came home with a limit of 25.

No same old chicken dinner this Sunday!

Another fatality through the ice over the weekend. Please wear a PFD.

Just read about it. He started out drilling holes in 6" of ice then moved further out to 2" and fell through. The middle of the lake was open water. Very sad.

This one died in Michigan's UP over the weekend.

http://www.9and10news.com/story/27877075/up-fisherman-dies-after-falling-through-ice-on-lake-Michigan

US Coast Guard around these parts have a famous quote: "No Ice Is Safe!"  It's a good thing to keep in mind.

This one died in Michigan's UP over the weekend.

http://www.9and10news.com/story/27877075/up-fisherman-dies-after-falling-through-ice-on-lake-Michigan

US Coast Guard around these parts have a famous quote: "No Ice Is Safe!" It's a good thing to keep in mind.

Definitely important to keep safety in mind. We love the outdoors, but fishing and hinting aren't worth dying for. Be smart.
  • Like 1