Sign in to follow this  
Bass2124

Daiwa Legalis

Was on the hunt for an inexpensive spinning reel to pair up with a veritas rod I got for half price. Going to use it primarily for shaky head fishing. went to cabelas for another president (own a couple) and saw this legalis on sale for 1/2 off for 30 bucks. Has decent reviews(not as good as the president) so thought I'd get an opinion or 2 here to see if I should save 30 bucks and give it a chance?

I had bad experience with Daiwa budget spinning reels in the past. They get really sloppy after a few months of use.

Daiwa's mid-range to high end spinning reels are decent. I like my Lexa and Certate. 

If you can't swing a President consider a Pflueger Trion.

Looks like a no on the Legalis.   Thought that I might get enough from camp Daiwa to convince me that it was a decent enough reel to consider.  Apparently not!! Oh well $30 wouldn't break the bank but at least I know it is not considered in the same class as the President.

My girlfriend has a Legalis 2500. It's on it's third season and performs very nicely. Comparing other spinning reels @ $60 retail, it is much smoother than the Sedona and manages line better than a President. My only gripe is that the line clip on the spool is basically non-functional.

I think you'll be very happy with one for $30.