Looking for a baitcaster for jerkbaits and some top water.  I have narrowed it down to the 6'6 St Croix Mojo Medium/Fast and the *** Black that is 6'7 Medium/Fast.  Other suggestions are welcome but I want it under $110 and a shorter rod (Under 6'8).

As a side note, when do people usually like to go to a moderate or moderate fast tip?  Is it with a stiffer/longer rod?  

I'm as happy as can be with my 7' m/f veritas. My pa in law feels the same about his 6'6" vendetta.

Truthfully, there's a lot of great/fine rods at that price point. And really its up to your personal preference. You will probably do well with ANY name brand offering in the $100 range- so go handle as many as you can, and bring your reel to get a feel for how its all going to balance.

The Shimano convergence is a great rod for the money. the spinnerbait version has a great tip for jerkbaits and crankbaits. the only thing I don't like is that the one I have is a two-piece but they probably make a one piece though.

I had a Falcon Bucoo that I got at Walmart for dirt cheap.  It was a pretty sick rod for top waters and I wish I kept it.

Not the power and lengths you want, but for what its worth:

I have a 6'6 MH F Mojo.. I hate this rod. I'd sell it, but I'd feel bad for the next guy. Its my dedicated spinnerbait / chatterbait rod where I don't have to feel a fish bite my lure... Might as well attach a reel to a 2x4.

I also have a 7'3 M F ***.. I love this rod. I'm probably going to buy a second one in the same weight. I bought it for treble hook lures (like you), but find myself throwing plastics on it as well. Great rods. Great customer service. I broke one this rod - my fault - high sticking it when bringing in that bass in my picture. They replaced the rod AND threw in a free hat.

Just my two cents!

Edit - you should feel an *** in your hands though.. the grip bothers some people. Doesn't bother me and I think I have pretty average hands.

The power and lengths on those rods are perfect for what you are intending to use them for especially if the baits you will be throwing aren't over 3\4 oz. The action is up to you. I like a modfast action with treble hooks because it allows more give so the fish can't shake the treble hooks. Also it allows the fish to really get a hold of the bait before I set the hook. A lot of guys like moderate action as well for the same reasons.

I think it depends on the size of the baits you are going to throw. I have a few different rods for jerkbaits and topwaters because of the size range, I have a G.Loomis JBR 752C jerkbait rod, awesome rod but when you get to baits that are 1/2oz  it struggles and then I have my moderate action Aetos, it is a 6'6" Medium light rated to 1/2oz, it handles 1/2oz medium and shallow diving baits just fine but for jerkbaits it is too soft for the larger ones but is great for the smaller jerks and it is awesome with the smaller poppers but a 3/8oz or larger popper it is too soft. So you need to find a rod that meets your required specs while covering the lure range you intend on using, you may have to sacrifice something like casting distance, or a certain lure size may not work but look to what baits you want to throw first then look for the rod. A really good rod that might be hard to find right now is the Fenwick Elite Tech Smallmouth 6'3" medium, moderate fast action casting rod, it handles a 1/2oz super spook Jr. really well and is also right at home with most jerkbaits in the 1/2oz size and it is also a nice option for poppers and smaller square bills and it fits your price range.