Sign in to follow this  
webertime

Dobyns Champion And Savvy (766 Specifically) Questions

I'm looking at getting a few new rods for the upcoming season.

I will be replacing a Abu Vendetta 7' MF, a Phenix Recon 766 and a St. Croix Avid 7' MHF. 

I am looking at the Dobyns Champion 734 and 735 Full Handles which should cover what the Vendetta and Avid covered...  This is question one...  If you have fished both the Avid 7 MHF and the Champion 735, would you call them similar in power?

I am also interested in the Savvy 766 Micro model but can't find to much information on it.  I would love some feedback on that model.  I know they aren't super sensitive, but I am sure they are good enough for the flipping I will be doing. 

Has anyone used the Champion 804 (Carolina Rig Special)?

Are there any other Dobyns in either line that I should be considering? 

Thanks all.

Hate to answer a question with a question, but what will the rods be covering? I have experience with all Dobyns models that you've mentioned. Thanks in advance for the answer.

If you have fished both the Avid 7 MHF and the Champion 735, would you call them similar in power

I have both and they feel similar in power (not action), I would say similar in sensitivity too. The three points the 735c FC has over the avid is the XF action, better balance, 3 inches.

I mostly used both with 1/2oz jigs and they both handled them with ease

• Like 1

I would say a 7' mh avid is much much closer to a 734 than a 735. I'd go with a 733 and 734 to replace the Abu and st croix. Can't speak on the 766 savvy.

I used the Avid for throwing Keitechs (4.8 fat 1/8-1/2oz weights), spinnerbaits, Texas/Jika rigs up to 3/8oz. Using 14-16lb Flouro.

Vendetta was senkos small spinnerbaits, sort of my "random stuff" rod using 12lb. YZH

I use the Recon now for flipping, frogs, Back up C-Rig rod and to toss punkers and shellcrackers.

I used the Avid for throwing Keitechs (4.8 fat 1/8-1/2oz weights), spinnerbaits, Texas/Jika rigs up to 3/8oz. Using 14-16lb Flouro.

Vendetta was senkos small spinnerbaits, sort of my "random stuff" rod using 12lb. YZH

With the baits you described I would likely actually throw all of those on a 734c.  For me, the 734c would fit all of those baits.  I like rods a little heavier although some may even recommend a 733 for some of those baits, I would personally just go with a 734c and 735c, or even two 735c.  You could always start with one 734c and see how everything feels on it. 

With the savvy I am not a microguide guy, but the regular guide 766 is a great rod, it is a meatstick rod but not the way that the Champion 766 is.  I like the savvy a lot for buzzbaits, frogs, and flipping/pitching.  I rig it with braid and tie whatever I need on it!

Personally I dont like throwing spinnerbaits on my 735c, the 734 seems like a better rod for it. As for the  saavy 766flip, I dont have the microguides. The rod is just a big flipping stick but I do like it for the cost.  If I were to get two it would be the 735 and 734.