Robertqq

Guide Series Classic Crappie Rod, 8', Light; Opinion ?

Hello,

Re:  Gander Mountain

Guide Series Classic Crappie Rod, 8', Light

If anyone has used this rod, particularly in this length, would be most appreciative

for any comments on.

I have a Daiwa UL now in 8 foot, but the tip is way, way, too soft.

Do mostly small pond fishing for Largemouth. Doubt that anything in Pond is over 2.5 pounds or so,

But did get a Chain Pickeral that was probably significantly more.  Once.

Hoping that this Gander Mountain rod, being a "Light", and presumably one-step up from a UL, would

have somewhat of a stiffer tip.

Any thoughts or opinions on ?

Gander Mountain "quality" ?

Thanks,

Bob

Hello,

Re:  Gander Mountain

Guide Series Classic Crappie Rod, 8', Light

If anyone has used this rod, particularly in this length, would be most appreciative

for any comments on.

I have a Daiwa UL now in 8 foot, but the tip is way, way, too soft.

Do mostly small pond fishing for Largemouth. Doubt that anything in Pond is over 2.5 pounds or so,

But did get a Chain Pickeral that was probably significantly more.  Once.

Hoping that this Gander Mountain rod, being a "Light", and presumably one-step up from a UL, would

have somewhat of a stiffer tip.

Any thoughts or opinions on ?

Gander Mountain "quality" ?

Thanks,

Bob

I have a Gander Mountain Guide Series Rod, and I have to say that it is decent. The guides are Pac Bay Hialoy and hold up fine. It is pretty sensitive and it is more than enough sensitive for bass fishing. An light rod might be a little to light for bass pickerel. I would suggest you step it up to a medium-light rod at the bare minimum, as my MH rod can barely handle bigger bass (4-5 LB).

I have a Gander Mountain Guide Series Rod, and I have to say that it is decent. The guides are Pac Bay Hialoy and hold up fine. It is pretty sensitive and it is more than enough sensitive for bass fishing. An light rod might be a little to light for bass pickerel. I would suggest you step it up to a medium-light rod at the bare minimum, as my MH rod can barely handle bigger bass (4-5 LB).

Gander Mountain Rod Ratings are a little bit odd. I would consider one of their Medium Rods to be a Medium light and a Medium Light rod to be Light.

If you are considering using a light rod with a UL reel you are probably not dealing with much heavy cover to pull fish out of.  That's my ponds scenario, I use ul rod and reel along with light power rods.  I happen to like a soft tip I think I get a better fight, 4-5# bass are not uncommon here and the rods handle them just fine.  A stouter rod is the way to go with heavier vegetation.  Personally I prefer those size rods to be 6'.