Sign in to follow this  
BKeith

Mk Terrova Question

Question for those using Terrova. Does anyone use an external transducer? If so, what's you secret for running the cable up the shaft? I've been running my HDS-7 I run on the Bow through the built in Xducer, but 7 has take a leave of absence for a while, so I thought I would use my HDI unit I use in my jon boat.

To get the downscan capability, I have to use it's Xducer and to do that, I have to have the cable going down the shaft, which is not very practical the way it stores.

Unless someone has a magic trick, Looks like my options are, forget the downscan, or go on ebay and buy me a used HDS unit I can network with my sidescan.

The lowrance transducer cable doesn't fit in the shaft groove, the Humminbird cable does. Your options are limited with the lowrance

Yep.  I figured as much, looks like I will have just straight sonar on the bow for a while.   I guess when I'm trying to see exactly what's down there, I will have to try and turn the HDS-10 mounted on a swing arm on the gunwale so I can see it from the front.  That or take the five out of the dash and use it up there, but that small screen sucks when you are very far from it.

Thanks.

You will end up slicing the cable, and you can't really splice a transducer cable and have it work right. I sold my terrova and bought an XI5 , so much happier. XI5 is a million times quiter, the pedal is actually good, and when i get my new hds 7 gen 3 i can't wait for that functionality.  My terrova was a POS. 

There is not a whole lot I like about my Terrova. I usually upgrade my TM and electronics every five years but since I've retired, it's going to be a little longer but when I do, it will be back to the MG's with dual cable steering. My biggest gripe is not being able to just grab the rope, lift and hold the motor partially up when going to get a lure unhung in shallow water. That and the slow response of that electric rotation. I was raised on MG's, don't know why a had a case of temporary insanity and bought the Terrova. I was thinking the iPilot would be nice, but find I rarely use it. The remote is handy sometimes when I'm off the front and need to move the boat to keep it from going on the bank or something.

• Like 1

Sent you a PM

You can't, I have it turned off.

I seem to rub some people the wrong way, and don't care to get their BS PM's. I think it's better to keep everything in the open, so everyone can read both sides of different view points and from their own opinion.

I will turn it on from time to time to help someone with technical stuff that would be way beyond what needs to be here, but other than that, it stays off.

You would have to pull the head off and drop the shaft, far as removing the wiring up top I don't know

You can't, I have it turned off.

I seem to rub some people the wrong way, and don't care to get their BS PM's. I think it's better to keep everything in the open, so everyone can read both sides of different view points and from their own opinion.

I will turn it on from time to time to help someone with technical stuff that would be way beyond what needs to be here, but other than that, it stays off.

Don't flatter yourself, I sent it to the OP LOL and I appreciate the knowledge you bring here.

You would have to pull the head off and drop the shaft, far as removing the wiring up top I don't know

That's the easy part. The problem arises where the cable would enter the motor or shaft at the bottom. There's a guy who posts on another site who removed the US2, drilled a hole on the shield and ran the cable up thru the shaft and sealed up the hole. I think there's too much risk in doing that