Sign in to follow this  
tje0705

Swim Jig/medium Sized Soft Swimbait Setup (Rod, Reel, Line)

Hey guys first post here, This year ive gotten really into swim jig fishing and soft body swimbait fishing. Im mostly throwing omega casey martin swim jigs and gambler ez right now. Im looking at getting a new setup just to dedicate to these two types of fishing. Im hoping I can have one rod and reel to handle both of these. Ive been looking at the cabelas tournament zx rods, either the 7'1" mh spinnerbait/swim jig rod they have guy have also been looking at the 7'3" H frog rod they have because I like the idea of being able to throw heavier baits. Id like to keep the rod selection in one of the zx rods but im open to anything in the 100 to 150 dollar range. As far as reels ive been looking at the Lews BB1 and the cabelas verano (which I think is a rebranded okuma helios). As far as gear ratio I havent really decided on anything I was guessing either 6.4 or 7.1. Then theres line selection, I like to fish shallow most of the time near shallow cover so I was thinking braid but dont really know. Thanks in advance for the help guys. Look forward to hearing yalls thoughts. 

I use a 7'-7'3" MH fast rod 14-20 lb Fluoro and a 6.?:1 ratio reel (I slow roll a lot of swimbaits).

A 7' MH fast St Croix Avid is awesome for the fishing that you describe.

I use a 7ft MH F 50lb braid with a 6 ft co poly leader and a 6:1 reel

Anyone using a heavy rod for this type of fishing? I see everyone saying MH but do you really loose  doing this type of fishing anything going up to heavy? The only reason is because i would like to have the option if putting a 1oz or 1.5oz jig head on a swimbait to fish deep with it.

When I made the switch to braid I was missing a lot of bites on swim jigs and since I started using MH/F I slayed them. And I use a completely different setup for swimbaits.