Ozark_Basser

Dropped Curado I In The Creek. Bearing Issue?

I dropped my reel in the creek yesterday. It proceeded to float downstream until I jumped in and saved it. It worked fine for a little while, until it started making a clicking noise when reeling. The clicking noise seems to be coming from the right side. I took out the spool, and it still clicks but not as bad. I set the drag all the way loose, and it doesn't click at all. Therefore, its not the levelwind, pawl, or wormgear. It isn't in the gears either. I have concluded it is the right side spool bearing. I guess it got some sediments in it. The funny thing is it doesn't click on the cast, and casting distance seems to be the same. What do you guys think it is?

Flush the bearings and try again. If the problem persists you may have to take it for a breakdown. 

• Like 1

Flush the bearings and try again. If the problem persists you may have to take it for a breakdown.

How do you flush your bearings? I've never done it.

Never mind. Did a quick search. Found out what I needed to know.

Or you could always upgrade to Bocas  :wink3:

• Like 1

There's little to be gained from swapping out those bearings and I doubt that's where the click is coming from. A quick dunk isn't necessarily catastrophic but since there are symptoms I suggest a tear down.

• Like 1

Well, I relubed everything (worm gear and both bearings) and for whatever reason, the problem has disappeared. I'm actually convinced there was some sediment stuck in the worm gear or under the pawl, and while lubing and reeling a whole bunch with the reel up to my ear, I somehow worked it out of there haha.

Now for my next problem. I have a revo stx with a spool tension knob that keeps mysteriously coming off. I already bought all of the click washers, small washers, click spring etc., but the tension knob e replacement parts sent me will not screw onto the reel. It's like the threads are stripped on the knob, but it doesn't look like it from inspecting it.

The threads aren't stripped on the reel. I know this for sure because I've already put a different knob on it since I've had the one that was sent to me. It also mysteriously disappeared. Can't keep a knob on this reel. I'll call e replacement parts tomorrow I guess.

Well, I relubed everything (worm gear and both bearings) and for whatever reason, the problem has disappeared. I'm actually convinced there was some sediment stuck in the worm gear or under the pawl, and while lubing and reeling a whole bunch with the reel up to my ear, I somehow worked it out of there haha.

Now for my next problem. I have a revo stx with a spool tension knob that keeps mysteriously coming off. I already bought all of the click washers, small washers, click spring etc., but the tension knob e replacement parts sent me will not screw onto the reel. It's like the threads are stripped on the knob, but it doesn't look like it from inspecting it.

The threads aren't stripped on the reel. I know this for sure because I've already put a different knob on it since I've had the one that was sent to me. It also mysteriously disappeared. Can't keep a knob on this reel. I'll call e replacement parts tomorrow I guess.

Had the exact same problem with my stx the tension knob wouldn't stay on, the clicking knob wouldn't work, and it was just a god awful caster. I called up Abu and they repaired it for me for free only having to pay for shipping. Everything works now except I can only get good casting distance on it by only using the magnetic brakes.

• Like 1

Had the exact same problem with my stx the tension knob wouldn't stay on, the clicking knob wouldn't work, and it was just a god awful caster. I called up Abu and they repaired it for me for free only having to pay for shipping. Everything works now except I can only get good casting distance on it by only using the magnetic brakes.

I actually really like this reel. Very light. Super smooth. Palms very well. Casts almost as far as my Curado I. The little things like the tension knob coming off and the thumb bar sticking every now and then are kind of annoying though.

I actually really like this reel. Very light. Super smooth. Palms very well. Casts almost as far as my Curado I. The little things like the tension knob coming off and the thumb bar sticking every now and then are kind of annoying though.

I like it to as well I just came from the Gen 2 Revos to the new ones and was disappointed. I ended up selling my revos and picked up a Curado 200e7 and became a Shimano fan lol. I still have the gen 3 stx and still use it just not as much.

You reminded me of the other issue I had with that dang thumbar lol. The only way I can fix that is to slap it hard againts the side of the reel with my palm.

I like it to as well I just came from the Gen 2 Revos to the new ones and was disappointed. I ended up selling my revos and picked up a Curado 200e7 and became a Shimano fan lol. I still have the gen 3 stx and still use it just not as much.

You reminded me of the other issue I had with that dang thumbar lol. The only way I can fix that is to slap it hard againts the side of the reel with my palm.

I've heard the gen2 revo stx was the best. I owned a gen 2 sx. It wasn't bad. Kinda heavy. I love the "feel" of the revos though. Just wish the quality control was a little better for the third generation.