Sign in to follow this  
I.rar

Line Vs Heat And Direct Sun

I've always thought about how fast mono and floroclear degrades in direct sunlight or heat. Say if I were to leave a rod with floroclear in the trunk, how long would I have before the line breaks down? Does line diameter or construction (copolymer?) make any difference?

Im not so sure that heat effects lina as much as sunlight. If you change your line every year or whenever your spool gets low i wouldnt worry about it....i also would not leave rods and reels in your trunk to get banged around...makes me cringe thinkin about it but i have an issue about keeping my rods and reels looking new but thats just me...

I think direct sunlight over prolonged period of time will yield more of an effect vs indirect heat. 

I have everything spooled with braid except a UL beater rig I just put together that has floroclear.

Also I didn't mean just thrown in there, lol. Lightly placed and neatly organized in the trunk is more like it.. So it won't be sitting on the dash board but I would hate to have severely weakened line when I least expect it.

Yo-Zuri Hybrid advertises as both UV and water resistant. I've been using it for a season, then reverse it on the spool and get a second year out of it. Seems to hold up just fine and its out in the sun pretty regularly. Braid I do the same, except I go 3 years before reversing so in total I get 6 years out of one piece of line.

Yo-Zuri Hybrid advertises as both UV and water resistant. I've been using it for a season, then reverse it on the spool and get a second year out of it. Seems to hold up just fine and its out in the sun pretty regularly. Braid I do the same, except I go 3 years before reversing so in total I get 6 years out of one piece of line.

Can't do this with mono ...

Heat alone is better than direct sun light. Not ideal but better.

Rod covers are also good idea to keep them from scuffing up and to protect the guides from any inadvertent damage.

Mike

Heat alone is better than direct sun light. Not ideal but better.

Rod covers are also good idea to keep them from scuffing up and to protect the guides from any inadvertent damage.

Mike

x2!!