Sign in to follow this  
FishHard247

Hot Water In Small Ponds

Hey guys. It's HOT here. My local pond water read 89 degrees today. I wondered if it was right but a hand check off the boat said it was bath water warm lol.

So while trolling around and thinking that they had to be shallow I still made my standard lap around. Sure enough, not a hent of a nibble except for some bluegill.

This pond is 10 feet deep in the middle and it rarely clear but for some reason it was clear down to a foot before my lure disappeared.

So I get to 3 feet of water then 2 and as my trolling motor started bumping, I parked it and slung in the trusty zoom pumpkin lizard with chartruese tail and wore them out. I think every fish in the pond was under a big bush over in 2 feet of water. Even has some cows to come in and cool off. Didn't bother the bass at all. Was a good day.

Thanks to bass resource for all the stuff I've learned. I remember the days where I'd get in the tackle box and pull out a chrome rattle trap about 6 inches long just because it was my favorite lure lol. The 3 c's are where it's at.

• Like 1

C_Heath yes it is hot here!!! My ponds sound like yours,bathwater. My largest was about 4lbs and a few smaller ones yesterday. Cant remember N.C. being this hot so early in some time. Yet the fishing seems good for now but if this continues it has to affect this bass soon. Frog bite was on for me.

C_Heath yes it is hot here!!! My ponds sound like yours,bathwater. My largest was about 4lbs and a few smaller ones yesterday. Cant remember N.C. being this hot so early in some time. Yet the fishing seems good for now but if this continues it has to affect this bass soon. Frog bite was on for me.

Same here ... Coupled with regular thunderstorms in the evening, I'm fishing in a hot muddy mess.  However, I was able to land some relatively big largemouth this by fishing w/ dark purple and black plastics.   

> Purple and black Senko (t-rigged) caught me a 3+ pounder on lunch break yesterday; >Black football jig w/ some blue and yellow in the trailer trailed by a fat craw-like bait by    Gambler caught some nice ones last week;

>Black Zooms horny toad has remained consistent.  

I've also been landing more strikes after changing to those "laser" cut hooks by Eagle Claw ... I don't remember the name.