Sign in to follow this  
nralover

Versatile Casting Rod On A Budget?

What are your opinions on choices for a versatile casting rod in the $125.00 range? This would be for most techniques, excluding crankbaits....

I have a few 7ft. MH rods that can handle a wide array of lures and fishing styles.  A MH 7ft. rod with a moderate to fast action would be the most all around i my opinion. Brand choice would be up to you.

An Okuma TCS 7'MH will do it all. Can find them around $100 on Amazon. Other than that I'd look at the new Dobyns Fury, I enjoy mine.

I have a few 7ft. MH rods that can handle a wide array of lures and fishing styles.  A MH 7ft. rod with a moderate to fast action would be the most all around i my opinion. Brand choice would be up to you.

X2.  A 7' to 7'3"  MHF is my first choice as well for an all-around rod.  Recently bought a 7'2" Medium Moderate-Fast rated 3/8-1 oz.  that I think could be pretty versatile depending on what your favorite lures are.

X2.  A 7' to 7'3"  MHF is my first choice as well for an all-around rod.  Recently bought a 7'2" Medium Moderate-Fast rated 3/8-1 oz.  that I think could be pretty versatile depending on what your favorite lures are.

I am thinking that casting jigs, Texas rigged worms, and spinnerbaits would be my favorites.

I am thinking that casting jigs, Texas rigged worms, and spinnerbaits would be my favorites.

I am thinking that a Fast action would work better for you.  :teeth:

• Like 1

I think for true versatility, find a rod that people say is overrated for its power. Rods that are routinely described as heavy even though its a MH.

Then buy the 7' medium/f version.

This has proven to be a sweet spot for me. ...where its heavier than a medium, but not QUITE a MH. Strong enough for t-rigs and light jigs around medium cover, but soft enough to throw topwaters and squarebills.

Two rods off the top of my head like this are the Abu Garcia veritas ( what I have and love) and the St croix mojo.

Good luck.

• Like 1

I think for true versatility, find a rod that people say is overrated for its power. Rods that are routinely described as heavy even though its a MH.

Then buy the 7' medium/f version.

This has proven to be a sweet spot for me. ...where its heavier than a medium, but not QUITE a MH. Strong enough for t-rigs and light jigs around medium cover, but soft enough to throw topwaters and squarebills.

Two rods off the top of my head like this are the Abu Garcia veritas ( what I have and love) and the St croix mojo.

Good luck.

I will say I find the Veritas I owned overpowered. That's why I sold it.