Sign in to follow this  
tcbass

How Do You Fish An Ima Skimmer?

I know this is a relatively new lure so I haven't been able to find any youtube videos on how to fish this lure. I tried one today and quickly skimmed it across the water all day. I got one hit and that was it. I could have probably switched to a Ragetail Toad or my KVD Sexy Dawg and caught some but I was adamant on attempting to catch a fish with the Skimmer. I will say that it's hooks are extremely sharp. Probably sharpest out of the box that I've ever used.

So, how do you fish the Ima Skimmer and what are the best conditions (water with chop or flat calm)?

By quickly skimmed it, what exactly do you mean? Its meant to be worked like the sexy dawg, zara spook, and other walk the dog baits

By quickly skimmed it, what exactly do you mean? Its meant to be worked like the sexy dawg, zara spook, and other walk the dog baits

I tried to do it like walk the dog. Maybe I was doing it to fast. I was really skimming it pretty quick.

It's a walk the dog bait, like timsford said.  I don't know what you mean by "skimming," that's just the name of the bait.   Just walk it like any other walking bait.  

I saw the video you posted in the other thread.  The guy is just walking it really fast.  It looks like he's going so fast that the bait is coming out of the water and skipping on top of the water.  I guess you could call that skimming.  Just walk it as fast as you can if that's the action you want to get.  Watch how he is working the rod.

It's a walk the dog bait, like timsford said.  I don't know what you mean by "skimming," that's just the name of the bait.   Just walk it like any other walking bait.  

I saw the video you posted in the other thread.  The guy is just walking it really fast.  It looks like he's going so fast that the bait is coming out of the water and skipping on top of the water.  I guess you could call that skimming.  Just walk it as fast as you can if that's the action you want to get.  Watch how he is working the rod.

Thanks.

Yeah, here's the video.  I tried it this fast and missed a bass. I'm wondering if it's because I was retrieving it too fast.

The skimmer is my favorite topwater lure. With the rod point down reel slowly with continuous quick jerks of the rod and it will walk back and forth. You can get it to make wide strides back and forth with a slow cadence but what has produced best for me has been a fast cadence while slowly reeling. This gives it a tight walk back and forth with plenty of splash but it is still not moving that fast overall.