Last_Cast

Lake Trout! How To Catch Em!?

GUYS!

Need some freaking help on catching Lake Trout.

Been trying and trying and no luck..

Any input would be appreciated

If you're fishing them in NY this time of year, you'll need downriggers to troll DEEP.  

Tight lines,

Bob

If you don't have downriggers, you can jig for them using large lipless crankbaits, bucktail jigs or jigs with 4-5" plastic baits. Find the thermocline and fish 5-10 feet above it. Any anomalies in the bottom will attract trout and they will suspend over/in it. I caught a nice one the other day on a tube jig in a 50 foot hole on a 26 foot deep flat. Put in the time to find them and you'll be rewarded with some exciting fishing.

I used to troll big spoons or big crankbaits with 2 to 5 ounces of lead ahead of the bait to get it to run deep enough. The lakes I fished did not thermocline but were up to 150 feet deep. We would mark fish between 60 to 120 feet down. We eventually figured out what area consistently held fish and would just troll back and forth through it experimenting to get the baits in the zone.

thanks guys!

I see a lot of things pointing to the tube jig and watched a lot of video's of guys using huge white tubes.  Let us know if you figure it out as i would like to try as well!!!

I see a lot of things pointing to the tube jig and watched a lot of video's of guys using huge white tubes.  Let us know if you figure it out as i would like to try as well!!!

Ill do my best, so far no luck

I used to troll big spoons or big crankbaits with 2 to 5 ounces of lead ahead of the bait to get it to run deep enough. The lakes I fished did not thermocline but were up to 150 feet deep. We would mark fish between 60 to 120 feet down. We eventually figured out what area consistently held fish and would just troll back and forth through it experimenting to get the baits in the zone.

thanks for the tip!

If you don't have downriggers, you can jig for them using large lipless crankbaits, bucktail jigs or jigs with 4-5" plastic baits. Find the thermocline and fish 5-10 feet above it. Any anomalies in the bottom will attract trout and they will suspend over/in it. I caught a nice one the other day on a tube jig in a 50 foot hole on a 26 foot deep flat. Put in the time to find them and you'll be rewarded with some exciting fishing.

thanks!

If you're fishing them in NY this time of year, you'll need downriggers to troll DEEP.  

Tight lines,

Bob

I have had plenty people tell me that, just seems like theres nothing every time I go..

maybe i should invest in a fish finder??

A fish finder would definitely help.

I just bought a couple 1 oz jig heads and some 3" white tubes. Going to give lakers a try this weekend for the heck of it.

A fish finder would definitely help.

I just bought a couple 1 oz jig heads and some 3" white tubes. Going to give lakers a try this weekend for the heck of it.

if you have pictures or anything of some set ups you use and how, that would be very helpful..thanks!