Sign in to follow this  
(='_'=)

Adding A Third Pedestal Seat, And Wiring A Socket And Lights

hey. i have 3 pedestal seats, but the boat only has the 2 regular bases... since we only fish for fun and most of the times theres 3 people on the boat, i was thinking about adding a third base plate in the middle of the boat, next to the console... there is no deck there, so i would have to drill directly to the floor... the person could seat and rest the feet on the rod locker (it needs to be a high post)... or maybe i will eventually extend the deck and the person could stand there... so the question is, can i drill directly to the floor? once i saw a bassboat with this setup, but it just passed by me on the lake so i dont know how the third seat was fixed....

now, question about wiring... i need two 12V sockets, one on the front to run LED lights, and one on the console to charge phones... i saw these sockets:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001U4ZZPK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_3&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

and im planning on running these lights or something similar for night driving, i will fabricate a base for them with a pin to put them on the front pedestal... i fish a lake which is basically a dam on a canyon, and we normally fish until 9-10 pm, so i need the light to exit the canyon, as the moonlight is not enough inside the canyon... i live in Mexico so theres no regulation regarding these lights...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FQ0ROZS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_5&smid=A13GV43BQXAUUP

so, on my jeep, i just wire directly from the battery, i run a positive (fused) and a negative wire directly from the battery to the blades on the socket..  i guess on the boat it will be the same, using the cranking battery, but i want to make sure... .i would use a relay for the socket on the front, so i can add a switch on the console for the lights... 

and eventually i will add led strips to the storage compartments, and again, on the jeep i wired the strips directly from the battery, to the switch, to the led strips (no relay for such small power)... can i do it the same on the boat?? im pretty much sure its the same, but i want to make sure as someone told me it works different, i had an automotive switch on my other boat and a boat mechanic told me i was going to fry the computer... it worked good, so im not sure if he was correct or not... 

Can I safely assume your boat has navigation/anchor lights? If your current wiring is sufficient enough to carry the LED's, then don't bother with the relay. Too much work involved. Just add an additional rocker switch and make sure it's fused properly. If you are going to run the light bars with the nav lights, wire them in parallel of the same switch. If you want to run the light bars with the nav lights and be able to switch them on/off separately than the nav lights, the load side of the nav switch will have 1 lead going to the nav lights and the other going to the lead side of the LED switch. If you want to be able to run the LED's independently from the nav lights, just wire the LED switch in parallel with the nav switch or directly from the battery Did I confuse you? LOL

I wired my locker lights in parallel wit the nav lights. I attempted to use door switches but they broke quickly. My deck lights are on an acc switch. The boat came with 2 round deck LED's and livewell lights. I just tapped into those and went from a 5 amp to 7.5 am fuse 

002_zpsf6bcb404.jpg

001_zps2fd0a406.jpg

haha, yes, i got a little bit confused... i want to run the LEDs independently, and since they will be using the front pedestal, they will be removeable, so at night i would remove the front seat (leaving the pedestal in place), put the light bracket in the pedestal, and it will have a cig lighter plug to go in the socket.... i dont want to mess with the stock wiring, thats why i wanted to wire directly from the battery... and ill have to check if my switch can withstand the LEDs, which i think it does.... if not, i dont mind adding relays, i have wired a lot of aux lights on jeeps using relays, the only time i dont use them is for led strips....  and yes, the boat has the stock nav lights, but i need something to provide enough light for me to drive around... on my other boat i used a spot light clamped to the battery.... 

and what about the third seat?? can i drill and install it on the boats floor??

thanx!

If the floor is solid, go ahead. There are surface mount bases and recessed mount bases. The recessed mounts require a 3" hole be drilled in the floor. Before drilling thru the floor you want to make sure nothing important is under the decking like a fuel tank etc.

If the floor is solid, go ahead. There are surface mount bases and recessed mount bases. The recessed mounts require a 3" hole be drilled in the floor. Before drilling thru the floor you want to make sure nothing important is under the decking like a fuel tank etc.

thanx! by surface mount do you mean they protrude from the floor?? i plan on using this one:

10066510.jpg?is=640,640

and on my boat the fuel tank is under the seats (bad design IMO, no storage space under them), so, i think theres nothing where i want to drill, right next to the console...