Fillet&Release

Need Help With Topwater Frogs

I have tried everything with my frogs. Done the research, tried walkin, hoppin, open water, in cover, fast, slow, start and stop, in water with plenty of bass and plenty of frogs, and I've still never got one hit on a frog. What is the problem? Most of my fishing is in the late afternoon, is this just bad frog time?

I would really appreciate any advice, frog fishing looks like a blast and I want to get some fish on my frogs.

I have tried everything with my frogs. Done the research, tried walkin, hoppin, open water, in cover, fast, slow, start and stop, in water with plenty of bass and plenty of frogs, and I've still never got one hit on a frog. What is the problem? Most of my fishing is in the late afternoon, is this just bad frog time?

I would really appreciate any advice, frog fishing looks like a blast and I want to get some fish on my frogs.

Frog may not be on the menu. I know that's hard to hear, but bass can be picky like that. 

To increase your chances though, I will give you a tip that helps me a lot. Minimize casting all over the place and be selective where you cast. Frog fishing in the summer can be slow if you don't throw the bait in the right location. Frog to me screams vegetation. Not just any vegetation, but the green healthy variety. For example pads and grass. I like to cast behind the grass and pads and land literally on the bank. If the bass are there ambushing bait, hold on to your rod.  Bass are ambush predators, so throw in spots that most people wouldn't dream about casting in. Frogs are very versatile and they can handle being fished in those ugly places. Make sure you are fishing with a strong rod and and using at least 50lb braid in dense cover, and 40lb in moderate to light cover. Best of luck to you. 

• Like 1

Frog may not be on the menu. I know that's hard to hear, but bass can be picky like that. 

To increase your chances though, I will give you a tip that helps me a lot. Minimize casting all over the place and be selective where you cast. Frog fishing in the summer can be slow if you don't throw the bait in the right location. Frog to me screams vegetation. Not just any vegetation, but the green healthy variety. For example pads and grass. I like to cast behind the grass and pads and land literally on the bank. If the bass are there ambushing bait, hold on to your rod.  Bass are ambush predators, so throw in spots that most people wouldn't dream about casting in. Frogs are very versatile and they can handle being fished in those ugly places. Make sure you are fishing with a strong rod and and using at least 50lb braid in dense cover, and 40lb in moderate to light cover. Best of luck to you. 

Couldn't agree more. Some of our best tournament nights have come with my budding flipping water willows, and me pitching a frog into little openings in the willows. Some of them no bigger than a cup lid. I don't know that you can get any more of a violent explosion than that. 

I will try the frog for a half hour or so and if I don't get any bites I will try another topwater bait.  I think I have had 1 hit on a frog so far this year.

I have my most consistent frog action at dawn and dusk.  I always start an early fishing day in the summer throwing a frog.

Tight lines,

Bob