Sign in to follow this  
EvanT123

Bulk Cork

I'm looking to purchase some bulk cork rings. Maybe 30-50 rings depending on the price. I used to buy off flea bay but it looks like the seller I was buying from doesn't have a lot of mid range rings. I'm not looking for top of the line but not ratty cork either. I would prefer natural cork. The burl is a real pain for me on my lathe.

Feel free to pm me if you don't want to post on the board. Thanks and happy thanksgiving.

I think the reason you are not getting responses is twofold.  1, cork quality is so subjective that what's good for me may not be for you, and people may be reluctant thinking they might give "bad" info.  2. There are not many cork sources reading these posts.  Try this site and see if you get more:  http://rodbuilding.org/list.php?2

By the way, I don't use much burl cork any more, but it's not about machining it, my drill press cobbled lathe rig does fine with coarse sandpaper.  It's that it weighs almost twice what natural cork weighs.  I use natural cork with rubberize butt ring ( 1/4 or 1/2 in) for durability, and then use cork seal or gunstock oil on it to make it easier to clean when it gets ratty.  A split grip casting rod from a 1.8 oz blank comes in about 3.6 oz. with a graphite reel seat.

• Like 1