Sign in to follow this  
bassfash

Swimbait Bass In Oregon

I am new to throwing big bait and have a couple hudds and glide baits. I've had a few followers, but none would take it. I've mainly fished henry hagg and I went to camanche resivoir in california. Is there anything I can change or different lakes.

Thanks matt

• Like 1

What tackle do you have and what size swimmers are you using?

Swimbaits are not a panacea lure that magically catches bass.

Are you fishing from a boat?

Like any lure swimbaits are effective at the right place and time, the big bass need to be where you are fishing and looking for baitfish the swimbait represents, otherwise the bass maybe just curious and checking out you lure.

Does the lake you fish plant rainbow trout?, they do at Camanche started about now if the water level and temps are OK.

Do some home work, determine what big bait the bass are looking for and fish your swimmers at the depth the bass are holding.

If you don't know where to start, then start at the 1st long point near a marina, then go towards the dam and start fishing every major point working your way around the lake. Work slow and cast over points retreiving the swimmers up and over points. Make a note where you see followers and return to those areas every few hours.

Tom

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice. I'm throwing both 6 and 8 inch huddleston in rainbow trout and juvenile trout. I through the six at henry hagg where there is a trout plant and a few state record smallmouth habe been caught there. I also have two glide bauts which I have not thrown yet, but they are about six inches in colors that are close to a stocker trout. I am fishing from a boat. I think I will be going out to hagg soon after the trout plants and throw the hudds and maybe glide baits.

Don't over fish the Hudds, slow and steady works, if you feel a few bumps try giving it a few fast reel turns and slow back. Just need to dedicate hours of repeated casts. Keep your eye out for any big swirls that indicates big bass are in the area and cast past the spot, always go over to where you see this happen. Try to determine where the followers came from, it takes them about 5 minutes for the bass to return back where it started from.

Good luck!

Tom

Thanks i am planning on going tl hagg after they stock the lake againi

This is where they srock the trout and there is on point right next to the boat ramp. Should I give that a try or should I try something else?

post-55564-0-05145700-1449431811_thumb.p

My best advice to you is find somewhere other than Hagg Lake. 

...god I hate that place.

Alright, I'm gonna apologize right up front for the necrothread bump here, but that's how it goes. 

I was looking at the stocking schedule on the ODFW website, and we are getting into stocking season for all the ponds. Has anyone tried to throw some bigger baits soon after the planters get put in? Since we can see the date ranges for when they are going to be planted, would it be reasonable to try throwing some swim baits at them this time of year? 

Yes, I realize the weather has been/continues to be atrocious and the water is cold. That is part of my question, is it simply too cold for the bass to chase around a trout right now? 

I only have one real swim bait at this point, one of the smaller (6" if I remember right?) savage gear "real trout" ones.