Sign in to follow this  
GoCougs14

Winterizing Plastic Pelican Boat

Recently bought a 12' Pelican boat. Not sure what the model is exactly.

The person I bought it from just but it on two sawhorses upside down.

Were forcasted for snow here in next week up here in northern Idaho, and I wanted to know what I should do.

I already have it 3ft off the ground on a few pallets, is there anything else I should do to protect it? Perhaps a tarp?

And I dont have any way to get it in a conditioned space.

Thanks guys

If it's just the empty hull then I would probably do what youre doing already and tent a tarp over it in addition.

just keep water out of any small areas that may crack if frozen and you'll be fine.  I have stored my kayaks outside for years and haven't had any issues.  One year i even thought about putting  tarp over them but that was more for me so my seat wouldn't be wet 

you just wouldn't want the water to settle and crack it like flyfisher is saying.

i'd also keep an eye on it through the winter to make sure snow doesn't pile up on top of it and dent the hull in any way.  otherwise, i wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Empty the hull out. On those, if it's like the ones I'm thinking, they have a plug in the front to let any water out that gets in between the hulls as well and that needs to be drained. Otherwise, just flip it over. I had a Bass Tender for 11 years and that's all I did with it and never had an issue. 

Empty the hull out. On those, if it's like the ones I'm thinking, they have a plug in the front to let any water out that gets in between the hulls as well and that needs to be drained. Otherwise, just flip it over. I had a Bass Tender for 11 years and that's all I did with it and never had an issue.

oh dangit it does have a plug. I forgot about that. Infortunates its been below freezing the past week. I dont rhink that theres much if anything inside, but i cant belive I forgot about that