Jump to content
lecisnith

Got a new cranking rod, now what?

Recommended Posts

Picked up a new cranking rod because I think it's going to be a little more versatile than my old one.  So if you had a 7' M/M Falcon Bucoo laying around what would you use it for?  Just keep it for a spare or find a new use for it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends on if you have a reel and what reel you have for it. I personally would throw throw traps or squarebills if you aren't fishing them around a lot of heavy cover.  Or another crankbait rod. A lot of guys including myself have multiple cranking setups, I have one for larger/deeper cranks, shallow/light cranks, squarebills and one for traps. So four cranking setups for me.  Or put it in the rack in the garage and build up a nice stock of spares or a nice lot to sell. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have 2(of these rods) with different gear ratio reels. Always have a Manns Baby 1 Minus tied on(spring through fall) or a small 3-4" paddletail with a 1/4oz underspin head. Also great for inline spinners such as 1/4oz Roostertails and as suggested above 1/4 oz traps are great on these as well. Also carry 3 other cranking set ups as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm thinking of keeping it for lighter cranks.  I'm fairly new to the cranking game so is it important to have different rods for lighter cranks, shallow-medium depth squarebills, and light lip less cranks considering they all usually fit the weight profile?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, I'm going to put a 4.9:1 gear ratio reel on the new one.  I'm thinking something in the 6 range for shallower stuff?  Always felt way too slow for my shallow stuff with the lower ratio.  Especially considering I don't do a terrible amount of deep cranking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fish a 6:4.1 most of the time.  Once you get used to feeling the kick of the bait and vibrations, you will learn how to tell when it's fouled or a fish misses.  It's a great little shallow cranking rod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only use the 5 range on two rods, the two that are primarily for fishing the divers. 6.4 on the squarebill rod and 7.1 for the lipless is what I have found to be my favorites.  I have thought about changing to a 6.4 for smaller cranking rod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about rod action?  I've seen a lot of differing opinions on squarebills and lipless cranks and some people don't like a moderate action and some people like a MH power for them?  Just a matter of personal preference? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, lecisnith said:

What about rod action?  I've seen a lot of differing opinions on squarebills and lipless cranks and some people don't like a moderate action and some people like a MH power for them?  Just a matter of personal preference? 

I like a MH moderate action on squarebills, and I like a MH medium fast action on lipless baits especially if you're ripping them out of grass.  Can get away with a moderate action like the 7'M Bucoo you have for smaller 1/4oz traps, but the 1/2oz you're not going to be able to clear if you get any weeds.  But most of it's personal preference and what you find that fits your style of fishing best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a MH for squarebills and lipless. Typically I'm throwing them around lots of stumps and hydrilla. 

My squarebill rod is a Falcon Lowrider20 lfc-5-168S Aoy ed. Its a moderate fast. Just what I prefer.

My lipless rod is a 7' MH Bucoo. Which is a med fast.  

I will throw lighter lipless on a spare medium sometimes in open water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2015 at 3:58 PM, lecisnith said:

What about rod action?  I've seen a lot of differing opinions on squarebills and lipless cranks and some people don't like a moderate action and some people like a MH power for them?  Just a matter of personal preference? 

It is personal preference. And also, one company's 7'MH/F might feel like another's 7'MH/M and vice versa. I'd recommend creating a post when you find a rod you are interested to ask opinions on this site especially if you are buying without handling it.

The power of the rod to me would depend on weight of the crankbait and type of cover I am fishing. Usually a MH  for baits 3/8oz+.

I like throwing lipless cranks and shallow cranks on a fast action rod. I like a little more bend when fishing mid and deep divers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bigfruits said:

It is personal preference. And also, one company's 7'MH/F might feel like another's 7'MH/M and vice versa. I'd recommend creating a post when you find a rod you are interested to ask opinions on this site especially if you are buying without handling it.

The power of the rod to me would depend on weight of the crankbait and type of cover I am fishing. Usually a MH  for baits 3/8oz+.

I like throwing lipless cranks and shallow cranks on a fast action rod. I like a little more bend when fishing mid and deep divers.

I don't post much about specific rods or reels typically because I don't care about someone's opinion about specific brands because their opinions can be biased simply based on a siNile experience.  So I ask questions in general terms: rod power and action, gear ratios for reels and I will make my purchases and applications accordingly and then change them if necessary based on my experience.  I don't care to hear about some dude that doesn't like a Lew's Speed Spool because his second cousin's friend had a handle break on his first fish.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i thought you were looking to buy a rod, misread your post.

not a good attitude to have though if you were. read through all the suggestions and make a choice before ordering based on rod specs and rolling a die.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not rolling any dice.  I know what it WILL do.  If it WON'T do something, I'll adjust accordingly.  So if a MH rod has a lure rating of 1/4-1oz, I'm pretty confident I can throw a SK 10XD.  But I'm not so confident I can throw a rapala DT 4, even though it's within the specs.  And I look at reviews, but that's what the search is for.  I try to save my time and questions for things which I can't find answers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep it for lighter cranks, you'll be glad you did!!! I got a finesse cranking rod, a 6'6" ML-M that has the same rating, 1/4oz to 1/2oz, as the BuCoo 7'M-M. Let me tell you that I could always throw a Mann's baby 1 minus and my other 1/4oz and 5/16oz on my regular cranking rod but ever since I started throwing them on the smaller cranking rod it is like a door opened to me. The cranks actually swim better and I get more strikes and catch more because of it, it was the first time in all my years fishing that I actually had a rod make a difference in a way I could actually see. So now anything 3/8oz and under gets fished on the finesse cranking rod.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On December 28, 2015 at 3:12 PM, lecisnith said:

Also, I'm going to put a 4.9:1 gear ratio reel on the new one.  I'm thinking something in the 6 range for shallower stuff?  Always felt way too slow for my shallow stuff with the lower ratio.  Especially considering I don't do a terrible amount of deep cranking.

You might want to try someone else's out first when it comes to the 4.9 ratios. I recently put together a new cranking setup and I put a 4.9 on it, and It was so slow that it drove me nuts. I use a 6.3 on my cranking setup and I love it even with deep cranking. Now my 4.9 sits in a closet with all my other spare and extra stuff, all it was is just a waste of $150...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used it last year,  I actually liked it a lot with the deeper cranks.  For the shallower cranks I did find it quite slow.  That's one reason for the switch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On December 28, 2015 at 2:16 PM, lecisnith said:

Picked up a new cranking rod because I think it's going to be a little more versatile than my old one.  So if you had a 7' M/M Falcon Bucoo laying around what would you use it for?  Just keep it for a spare or find a new use for it?

Use it for shallow divers

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/1/2016 at 8:53 AM, MDBowHunter said:

You might want to try someone else's out first when it comes to the 4.9 ratios. I recently put together a new cranking setup and I put a 4.9 on it, and It was so slow that it drove me nuts. I use a 6.3 on my cranking setup and I love it even with deep cranking. Now my 4.9 sits in a closet with all my other spare and extra stuff, all it was is just a waste of $150...

Sell it??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, HoosierHawgs said:

Sell it??

Sell it!?  That's preposterous.  I think the consensus, and what I was leaning towards, is using it for my light and shallow cranks.  I could never sell my babies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, lecisnith said:

Sell it!?  That's preposterous.  I think the consensus, and what I was leaning towards, is using it for my light and shallow cranks.  I could never sell my babies.

I'm talking about that guys 4.9:1 reel that currently is essentially 100 bones sitting in a closet.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HoosierHawgs said:

I'm talking about that guys 4.9:1 reel that currently is essentially 100 bones sitting in a closet.

Oh, right.  Yeah I am all for others selling their babies.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, HoosierHawgs said:

Sell it??

If I had a local buyer I would, but im not messing around with listing and shipping stuff. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd personally try to sell old equipment on Craigslist. Have had luck selling several old tackle boxes, reels, and rods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×