Bartableman7

Home Made Spike It - Ideas - Help

I used up a bottle of white Spike-It for my soft plastics.  Any ideas or thoughts on a home made liquid?  What is the stuff?  Only looking for white and black.  Thanks for any ideas.

It's dye and scent.  Very likely it's proprietary, though I'm sure you could find some dye and garlic scent and make your own.  It's probably less expensive and easier to just buy another bottle.  I recommend trying JJ's Magic.  I prefer it to any other products, though there is no black.

Some simple directions for the best scent you could ever want:

1) Log on to www.***.com

2) search "JJs Magic"

3) select preferred color

4) add to cart and checkout

No need to "reinvent the wheel" in this case ;)

Have to be wary adding anything to plastics... Certain oils and household items can turn your baits rock hard over time

Ive played around trying to make my own scent/flavoring for plastics.. In the long run i got tired of throwing baits away so i just buy premade scents now 

^Good point here. If you decide to go the homemade route, Google "worm oil" to use as a base. Won't make your baits hard.

Johnson baby oil was an old tip someone gave me also, and I never had a problem with it drying plastics. 

I used them for bagging soft plastics, for just making a scent, you might not have to worry about it as much.

Two cups hot tap water.  Boiling water is too hot....

Two tablespoons garlic powder and a quarter teaspoon sea salt.  Stir well....

Pour some of this mix into your re-sealable baggies of soft plastics, seal and mush about a bit to spread the mix.

Now, in a large pan or small pail, float the baggies on hot tap water for a half hour.  Take the baggies out  and drain most of the water mix off....reseal.  You will notice bits of garlic will remain in the baggie  and this is OK to leave it in.  Two cups of the scent will provide a lot of treated baggies.  Good fishing, Mac  

When I'm done fishing, I take the soft plastic trailer off and rinse it in the lake water and put it back in the baggie wet. When the lure comes in contact with the garlic bits, it automatically rejuvenates for the next trip out.

Edited by macmac
omission