Alumacrft jon boats

This is just my 2nd post but i am inprest with all the responces that i have gotten.  Thanks to everyone.  I am looking for a 14ft jon boat.  Having look at all the different companies who make jon boats. I like an alumacraft the best.  Dose anyone know anything about them and how hard is it to put a front casting deck in a jon boat?

I have a 12 foot jon boat and i am 13 and i put a portable deck on mine. cut out 1 inch thick plywood to the demensions of your area, then carpet it.

get some 2 by 4's and build at least 4 stands at the exact hight of the bottom to the deck. place the stands in the boat strategically to even out weight. put the deck on it and you are done. if you want it permanent then screw it into the seats or bolt it.

If you go with the front casting deck, the bow mount motor should bolt right to it.  Just remember it should bolt right to it.  In other words, plan ahead.  Don't secure your deck down tight and then try to bolt the motor :o

If you want to save a lot of money, and a hand control motor is acceptable to you, you can buy or make an aluminum bracket for the front of the boat that will accept a transom mount motor.  Although I've never used one of these (or even seen it) it looks pretty cool to me.

motormount3zo.jpg

They have them at Basspro.com

As far as the gas motor goes, we have a <10hp limit on most of the lakes I fish so I have an 8hp Merc on my 16' V.  I seem to do alright with that.  I would guess it pushes me about 8-12 mph.  You should do better than that.  With me, my gear and my boat, I am probably pushing 800-1000 lbs.