Jump to content
(='_'=)

modifying Veritas trigger

Recommended Posts

hey. i bought a Veritas some time ago. i like the weight of the rod, and it works well for my needs ( i use it for spinnerbaits mostly)... what i dont like of the rod is the small hook in the trigger... i have a couple Falcons and the trigger is straight, it suits my hand better. so i use the veritas for a while, and then put it down because it begins hurting my hand...

has anyone modified the trigger to cut the hook? what did you use? i have been thinking about a Dremel...

 

thank you... 

th (1).jpe

and i want to cut it to leave a straight trigger like this one

FLRC-1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have not had that issue with the Veritas.

Some wire cutters and a sanding file would be quick imo.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i had one quite a while back and couldn't stand that ridiculous trigger, but the rod wasn't bad.  I ended up taking a file to it and getting it down to a reasonable shape.  then some medium, fine and extra fine sandpaper to get it smooth again.  Worked like a charm for me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe heat it gently with an indirect flame until it gets soft and reshape it? This way you won't be removing any material. it looks pretty thin already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanx!! im not sure it could be bent into shape, maybe it could but i would be worried about damaging the blank... i think ill use the file and sandpaper... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, (='_'=) said:

thanx!! im not sure it could be bent into shape, maybe it could but i would be worried about damaging the blank... i think ill use the file and sandpaper... 

i'd think if you heat and bend you'll run the risk of deforming the plastic that you actually want to keep.  i promise you the file and sandpaper method will make you like the rod again....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the same problem with my powell inferno. I used a dremel and a really sharp knife.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, buzzed bait said:

i'd think if you heat and bend you'll run the risk of deforming the plastic that you actually want to keep.  i promise you the file and sandpaper method will make you like the rod again....

hey, thanx for the help!!! yesterday i did just that, i used a rough file, and then a smoother smaller file to finish shaping it. i still need to use some sandpaper to make it smooth, but so far, i already removed the hook and now i can hold the rod like i use to without a problem. it took me less than 10 minutes to get it where i wanted, i could still remove a little more material to leave it straight, but i think this is enough... 

 

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The graphite of a reel seat is fairly easy to tool. A Dremel tool is fine for rough shaping just go easy . Follow up with gradual sanding.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Delaware Valley Tackle said:

The graphite of a reel seat is fairly easy to tool. A Dremel tool is fine for rough shaping just go easy . Follow up with gradual sanding.  

Just go easy indeed. It's not at all difficult to get carried away with a Dremel in your hands. You don't have to ask how I know this. LOL

By the way Mike, if you use a Dremel a lot, you should take a look at a Foredom. A Dremel is a Ford. The Foredom is a Benz.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, (='_'=) said:

hey, thanx for the help!!! yesterday i did just that, i used a rough file, and then a smoother smaller file to finish shaping it. i still need to use some sandpaper to make it smooth, but so far, i already removed the hook and now i can hold the rod like i use to without a problem. it took me less than 10 minutes to get it where i wanted, i could still remove a little more material to leave it straight, but i think this is enough... 

yes sir, that looks good.  touch that thing up with some sandpaper and "roll out" any edges and you'll be back in business!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, .ghoti. said:

Just go easy indeed. It's not at all difficult to get carried away with a Dremel in your hands. You don't have to ask how I know this. LOL

By the way Mike, if you use a Dremel a lot, you should take a look at a Foredom. A Dremel is a Ford. The Foredom is a Benz.

The flex hose and foot pedal look awesome but near 3 Benjamins. Whew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

had the same problem,used a dremel with a fine cutoff wheel,then a small file to clean up the edges.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just cut mine off and sanded it flat... Not on a veritas, but a quantum that was bruising my finger. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2016 at 2:35 PM, Delaware Valley Tackle said:

The flex hose and foot pedal look awesome but near 3 Benjamins. Whew

If you use a rotary tool often, a Foredom is worth it. The flex hose alone is worth it; for the precision. It's so much easier to control than a Dremel, and so smooth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels
    fishing gear

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×