Transom repair

Got a question,  I'm repairing the transom in my bass boat.  I cut out the fiberglass in 2 pieces to remove all the wood.  My question is, can I reuse the fiberglass pieces or do I have to buy new fiberglass.  The pieces that I have are in good condiction.  Also, if it is possible to reuse the pieces, Does anyone no the process of replacing the fiberglass.

thanks

How much time do you have? If this is a project boat and you have time do it right and lay new fiberglass, and layer it slowly. Sand it in between coats, then on the final layer use a 1800 grade paper, sand it smooth and paint then apply gel coat. Do the gel coat in layers.

Replace the fiberglass! I want to wish you luck sanding that fiberglass with 1800 grit. I own an auto body shop and dont use anything finer than 80 grit on raw fiberglass and 600 on gelcoat. I am not saying that 1800 cant be used but I promise that after sanding for the next 2 years you will want to use something rougher.In case you are not familiar with 1800 grit it is as fine a notebook paper. we use 1500 to sand and polish show cars!

gamblerOH,

I use the 1500 also, I had a body shop guy who does fiberglass vettes and he gave me 80 sheets of the 1800. I misspoke and should have wrote to use it on the gel coats.

I found that this gave me a better finish on the little bubbles and pin holes on the gel coat.