I am going to Lake Gaston this weekend and am staying in the upper part of the lake, South side across from Great Creek. Was wondering if anyone could give me some tips for good Largemouth spots in that area this time of year? 

Also is the spawn pretty much over at this point?

Was there a month ago and the spawn was pretty much over then, a few on beds but I would bet money they are gone now.

If I was doing now, I would look at docks (there are a ton of them), rip rap around the bridges, and points that have grass on them.

Love Lake Gaston!

Welcome aboard!

mjn, welcome to the Forums. Hope you stay with us and start getting involved with the various topics.

As for Gaston, Buggs is extremely high, around 307. This means the Corps will be pulling water out of Buggs and into Gaston at a rate that will not flood Gaston.

So the water will be on the cold side, around the high 60's and stained or muddy in different places.

There will be current in Gaston as the Corps releases the water at the dam. Current is good on Gaston.

You will need to fish the docks and piers plus the creeks and marinas.

Saturday is a rain day and the bass will probably be active. Sunday will be the day after the front passes and fishing will be tough no matter your level of experience.

If you can find any clear water you can fish it or water that is a few degrees warmer than the lake.

Good luck and be careful. Gaston gets dangerous when the wind blows, especially on the south side of the Eaton Ferry Bridge heading to the dam.

The spawn should be over but the cold temperatures and the rain has messed it up.

You may find some bass on their beds but I would not count on that technique to be very successful.

• Like 1