Sign in to follow this  
smr913

Two Firsts Last Night

Waded my local river last night after work from about 6 to 8 last night. I started with high hopes but I must have had some bad karma brewing because things went down hill fast. Started about 3 casts in when I hit a tree limb on my back cast and lost about 50 yards of mono. Next I was wading in about 2.5 feet of water and my wading belt came loose. Into the muddy water fell my tackle bad and tucked snugly in the back was my Cumara casting rod and Curado 50e. After about 5 minutes combing the bottom I found it thankfully. I fished until dark with only 2 dinks. I decided to walk back downriver to my car. I tied on my new black Whopper Plopper and started moving. Casting toward the other bank in about 12 inches of water I wasn't expecting much. Then BOOM. A solid 3# smallie crushed it. After a short battle I got him to the bank and started to work on the trebles. My luck had turned around... Or so I thought. The fish made a quick flop out of my grip and buried two hooks of the rear treble into my pinky and ring finger (my other first.) I bit down, took my pliers in my left hand and started working them back out. Thankfully this was a brand new bait so hooks were as clean as can be. I took a quick pic of the fish rinsed the blood off my hand and went to the car.  

Looking back on the picture this morning I had to ask myself "was that one fish worth all the pain and frustration." It was. 0523161958.jpg0523162022.jpg

• Like 2

ouch!  glad you didn't have to head to the ER with that one!

Nice smallie! Bummer about getting hooked though.

Tough night  for ya!

Been there, but it took 30 years before I did.

20140423_102500.jpg

20140423_103236.jpg