Sign in to follow this  
Iluvsmallies

Hair jig for smallies

So I wanted to make a hair jig out of bear and finally got my hands on one.  What do you guys think? image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

It looks well tied... but I don't have a need for smallie jigs that stout where I fish them.

oe

looks good to me

It'll work best when there's a bug hatch going.  Up here in the north, the mayflies, lake flies, and caddis flies will all start hatching soon and they float up in big balls through the water column until they reach the surface and hatch.  The fish GORGE themselves on them and those small hair jigs are very effective.

I love bear hair but it is hard to find, at least at a decent price. That looks killer but a little too large for my liking as I have more success using hair with a finesse approach but if you have the right water it should work really well.

On 5/26/2016 at 3:11 PM, Iluvsmallies said:

So I wanted to make a hair jig out of bear and finally got my hands on one.  What do you guys think? image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Iluvsmallies, you've got the hair perfectly distributed around the head and a very neat collar but I too think it's too heavy a hook. Maybe hang a chunk trailer from it and see what happens.

Try as neat a wrap on an 1/8 or 1/4 oz. light wire jighead and throw it when the water is below 50º without a trailer on 6 or 8 lb. line. The smallies will love it.