RyanDR

Hair jig storage in bags

I know this topic has been covered somewhat. I have my jigs stored in Plano boxes with foam. But I wanted something a little more compact. I was thinking of storing in a binder made for soft plastics with a bunch of hair jigs in separate small bags. Will the buck tail get kinked this way? What should I do with the wet jigs?

Put them away in the bags DRY and STRAIGHT... they will fish fine.

oe

• Like 2

Leave the wet jigs out to dry and then pack them away in bags straight , this is how I pack up my hair jigs

I do what OE suggests. I keep all my hair jigs in small plastic bags, 2"x3" for the majority of them. You can buy them in packs of 100 at most any craft store. I store 2 jigs per bag and it keeps them in great shape and easily accessible. Can put the smaller bags with jigs into any normal tackle system at that point.

As far as drying them off, the best thing I've found is after you are done fishing with a jig, leave about 3'-4' of line hanging off your rod with the jig still attached and then just whip it around in a circle/windmill for about 10-12 swings. The centrifugal force not only straightens out all the hair perfectly, but whips most of the excess moisture from the hair :)

-T9

• Like 2

I have a bunch of boxes that I made up for my hair jigs, but when I go out to fish I use a tackle binder, the old tackle logic that has bags in it. I put about 2 dozen or so in 3 of 4 different bags and then take the binder and go fish. After I'm done and put my stuff away I'll put the ones I used in a separate bag from the binder and when I get home I lay them out on a paper towel, on the bucktail jigs I'll actually run the towel down the length and straighten the hair out but rabbit, marabou, and craft fur I just dab and leave air dry.

3 hours ago, Team9nine said:

As far as drying them off, the best thing I've found is after you are done fishing with a jig, leave about 3'-4' of line hanging off your rod with the jig still attached and then just whip it around in a circle/windmill for about 10-12 swings. The centrifugal force not only straightens out all the hair perfectly, but whips most of the excess moisture from the hair :)

-T9

Henceforth they shall always be known as "Brian's Dizzy Jigs"...

oe

• Like 1

I consider my custom hair jigs as a valuable lure and always cut any I used off at the end on my outing and wash them when I get home in warm water mild soap, rinse and blow dry with a hair drier on no heat.

You can put dry hair jigs in plastic bags. I put 1 in a 2" X 4" bag and roll it length wise and Lay them flat, about 6 each  in a sand which size zip lock plastic bag, roll that up, this keeps the hair from getting damaged. I store the rolled plastic bags in Plano 23630-01 deep boxes by color.

Tom

• Like 1

Anybody have a good recommendation for a tackle binder? All the ones up for sale seem to be bigger than I would like. I would want a slim binder that holds a dozen to two dozen jigs.