Luna2406

Curse of Waller Mill in Williamsburg, Va

Waller Mill is the only freshwater body of water on the peninsula that I haven't pulled a single fish out of. It's my curse. I'm coming off a 12 bass day, and I'm tempted to try my luck there one more time. Not only have I never caught anything there, I always lose a piece of equipment in there, including a rod combo. I'll be more tempted in going if someone wants to show me the ropes at that place tomorrow morning...if not, might go to Harwoods Mill...Lol Thanks!

Wish I were still down that way.  Waller Mill holds a special place in my heart.  An 'old' Chief Petty Officer took me bass fishing for the first time on Waller Mill.  I never caught a lot there, but I recall some special fish.  I learned a lot from him on that water over the next couple months.  I'll be on Cheatham for a few days later this month; most of the time there I stick to the base, but I just might make a run over there for nostalgia's sake. 

Let me know when you come this way, I learned bass fishing in Cheatham lol mainly Jones mill pond. Maybe we can meet up and fish together! 

Will do.  Itinerary for mid-June still a little squishy....but I should be in the area - on Cheatham - in two weeks....will probably be free on 17, or more likely 18 for fishing without the wife (and in-laws.)  We absolutely love Jones.  Many of our weekend getaways are to the CAX quarters or cabins and 3 days on Jones...maybe a side trip to Penniman, but mostly Jones.

Headed down tomorrow am.  Staying at the Q on CAX.   Gonna be crazy windy tomorrow,  but Sat should be nice.  Not sure what to do about tomorrow. ..mb Cheatham pond will be easiest if the grass isn't bad yet

i dont think the grass is too bad yet, a friend of mine was there last weekend and he said it wasn't too bad. I'm actually doing a tournament in richmond starting tomorrow. How long are you gonna be down here?

Just for the weekend.  Thanks for the intel.  Good luck with the tourny.  We'll find a way to meet up at a later date.

• Like 1

I just caught my first one at waller the other day after 5 or 6 times going there. My buddy I went with he caught 7 or 8 on a wacky senko grn pumpkin blue flake all around 2-3 pound range maybe that might help a lot where on main lake points. I love fishing cheatham when i get the chance to go there i never fished jones pond just the other two.

• Like 1

Was on Jones last four days.  Fri was awesome numbers, but only 3 over 3#.  Sat was fewer, but a couple bigger ones.  Sun and Mon were a bit slow.  I'm a crank&wind kinda bass fisherman, but they just weren't having any of that.  One 3# on a spinnerbait, 4 hook-ups and losses on lipless and zero hits on crankbaits....all weekend.  Fish are already in an August state of mind; 12-14' deep and sitting still.  Dead-sticking and short-hopping trick worms was the ticket all weekend.  Good popper action around sundown, however.

On 6/21/2016 at 10:29 AM, Choporoz said:

Was on Jones last four days.  Fri was awesome numbers, but only 3 over 3#.  Sat was fewer, but a couple bigger ones.  Sun and Mon were a bit slow.  I'm a crank&wind kinda bass fisherman, but they just weren't having any of that.  One 3# on a spinnerbait, 4 hook-ups and losses on lipless and zero hits on crankbaits....all weekend.  Fish are already in an August state of mind; 12-14' deep and sitting still.  Dead-sticking and short-hopping trick worms was the ticket all weekend.  Good popper action around sundown, however.

I've had my best luck there on bluegill crankbaits, and my biggest came out of there using a chatterbait on a rainy day during pre-spawn! Just shy of 7lbs!