New Boat Help

Me and my step-dad are thinking about getting a boat but we dont know where to start.  He wants a new one but i think if i can find a good deal for a used one he might get it.  Anyway, we are going to be mostly fishing for bass, but he also wants to be able to bring the boat in salt water if possible.  Any help would be appriciated.

-Thanks,

Chris

Chris, I'll try to give your question an answer.  But the question leaves alot of others be to asked.  Most importantly, how much are you willing to spend?  New or newer doesn't require as much cash to fix up.  The older the boat, the potential for things needing to be replaced becomes greater.  After all, you don't want to inherit someone else's problems, right?  Of course, you can tell if someone has taken care of his boat, because pride of ownership shows and he'll probably have all his receipts for work preformed.  

A good used boat will allow you to learn about it and save you some cash, which you will need  for tackle and other stuff.

Some other questions.  How big a boat  (length) do you want?  Aluminum or fiberglass?  How big a motor?  Inboard, outboard, or jet (don't know where you live  ;D) 2 or 4 stroke?    

Check the internet sites, tacke shop postings, newspaper and boat trader magazines to give you a good idea of what is out there and at what cost.

Once you find a boat you like, take the boat to a reputable shop.  Pay the nominal fee to have the motor compresion tested and gone over to find any potential problems.

As for the salt water issue, there are boats made by Ranger, Triton, Skeeter that allow for both types of fishing, ie; freshwater and flats.

Anyway, I hope this helps, and good luck- JB  

If you are planning on  saltwater make sure you get a something with a saltwater motor, a saltwater trolling motor and a galvanized trailer, Its going to be hard find a boat like youre describing. I would buy a freshwater bass boat. An occasional trip to saltwater should not hurt it as long as you wash everything with freshwater when you get home and always flush the engine with freshwater.

Thanks for all the info. it really helped.  I live in florida and me and my stepdad will probally be fishing mostly fresh water in the everglades but like i said he wants to go salt water fishing.  What you asked about the motor type we dont know any suggestions would be appriciated. length i guess around 14-16  i would also like to know which boat/model you would reccomend to new boat owners that dont know much about boats.  My step dad has a friend who knows about boats and knows how to drive one so dont worry we wont kill ourselves.  I am pretty sure my step dad said he would spend around 14,000.