Sign in to follow this  
Chance_Taker4

Help me pair my rods to reels

I recently sold about 75% of my rods. I am a coangler and am condensing down to only 8 setups (Only take 5-6 with me on a given event). I am purchasing more rods to cover what I sold, I just want to try different brands out and find other rods I like, 

Currently own 

7' MF Abu Villain casting

7' MF Glass Skeet Reese casting

I have 3 spinning combos already so I will be purchasing 3 more casting rods

Reels I currently Own

5:1 Exo

6:1 Incept

7:1 Ardent Apex Pro

7:1 BPS Bionic

8:1 C

In my events I normally through Jigs, squarebills, chatterbait, spinnerbait, jerkbait, frog, small swimbaits. All soft plastic applications are done on my spinning gear. What reels should I pair with what rods and what 3 rods should I get to finish my arsenal?

I would pair the 5:1 Exo to the Skeet Reese Rod for cranking and either 7:1 to the Villain for plastics and lighter baits

I would recommend you get a 7' MHF, a 7'3-6" HF, and a 6'6-9" MF or MHF. I would pair the 7' MHF with the 6:1 for spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, and jigs, the 8:1 with the 7'3-6" for frogging, flipping, and for swimbaits, and then one of the 7:1 with the 6'6-9" for jerkbaits and top water

• Like 1

Thank you very much that helped a lot.

17 hours ago, SMITTY0045 said:

I would pair the 5:1 Exo to the Skeet Reese Rod for cranking and either 7:1 to the Villain for plastics and lighter baits

I would recommend you get a 7' MHF, a 7'3-6" HF, and a 6'6-9" MF or MHF. I would pair the 7' MHF with the 6:1 for spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, and jigs, the 8:1 with the 7'3-6" for frogging, flipping, and for swimbaits, and then one of the 7:1 with the 6'6-9" for jerkbaits and top water

What line would you recommend on these setups?

The line is mostly based on preference, but I'll tell you what I like to use. For cranking, I typically throw 12lb fluorocarbon, potentially up to 15 depending on the situation. For plastics and lighter baits, I use about the same depending on what I'm throwing (as far as the weight of the lure goes)

I definitely would use 15lb fluorocarbon on the spinnerbaits/chatterbait rod. For the Heavy frogging and flipping rod, I would use 50lb braid, you'll definitely need stronger line like this if you are fishing thick cover. Lastly, if you are using the short rod for top water baits, I would get some good monofilament, probably 14-15lb test. You'll want mono so your line stays on top of the water

• Like 1