Leanback

ST. Croix MOJO gen2 or G. Loomis E6X

Long time striper troller and cat fisherman here looking to pick up on the large mouth and small mouth bass fishing this summer i read the sticky on rod basics and have decided to start there.

in the price range i have set for myself and what my local sporting goods store carries are both rods mentioned in the title bar.

here are my thoughts so far

1, 7' MHF mojo/E6X with revo STX

2, 7' M/M mojo/E6X with revo winch

3, 7' MF spinning w/ pflueger president series (so many spinner reel options i just chose the pflueger for now)

My main question is which rod would pair better with the reels i have specified or are there better reel/rod combos out there that i could make for around the same price point, and or is it just personal preference at this point?

I have not held neither rod in my hands as of yet, all my experience so far is strictly internet research. I will be heading out to my local store this weekend to get a feel for them.

I own both of those brands and like them both. I like the e6x mbr843c 7 mhf over the mojo 71 mhf rod. The 843 is strong enough to set a hook but it has a little bit more tip than the mojo and would be a much more versatile rod. The mojo is a broomstick that excells with jigs and worms.  I use the  843c's to fishworms, jigs, senkos, flukes rattle traps, squarebills and spinnerbaits in and around cover and it does it all well. I would definetley choose it over themojo if i had only one medium heavy rod. 

I think the the mojo cranking rods are great, they are cheaper than the e6x and are glass composite. I would choose one from the mojo line to save money here. 

As for a spinning rod goes, the mojo plastics rod gets my nod. 

Not telling you what you should do, just telling you what i would do. As for the reels... I have never used those reels, so i cant give you an experienced opinion. 

Thanks Poolshark i didnt even think about mix matching i guess that extra 60 bucks for the E6X does get you a bit more.

I will take a look at the mojo plastics rod i havent even seen this one yet, and the research goes on lol

1 hour ago, Leanback said:

Thanks Poolshark i didnt even think about mix matching i guess that extra 60 bucks for the E6X does get you a bit more.

I will take a look at the mojo plastics rod i havent even seen this one yet, and the research goes on lol

If you havent seen it.. Its a 7'1 med/fast rod that will throw your fluke jr, finesse worms and wacky rigs really well. If you are going to use any deep crankbaits, id go with the mh mojo cranking rod. If you are going to throw smaller crankbaits and double as your topwater rig, go with the 7'4 mm. Its a better comprimise since you are starting with three rods. 

I prefer the mojo over the E6X. At that level I feel like you get more bang for your buck from St. Croix. For me, the Loomis line starts at the IMX and up. 

I know it wasn't part of your question, but I'd recommend checking out Hammer Rods, which are in your price range and are fantastic rods for the money IMO. I own one and will definitely be buying more  

Haven't used the revos. Pfleuger president is a fine reel. The only time I buy a spinning reel that isn't a Pfleuger these days is if Shimano or comparable has a sale deal that is too good to pass up. Just hard to beat Pfleuger at the price point. This is all of course just my personal preferences, so take that for what it is  

Hope this is helpful to you in some way. 

2 minutes ago, Oklahoma Mike said:

I prefer the mojo over the E6X. At that level I feel like you get more bang for your buck from St. Croix. For me, the Loomis line starts at the IMX and up. 

I know it wasn't part of your question, but I'd recommend checking out Hammer Rods, which are in your price range and are fantastic rods for the money IMO. I own one and will definitely be buying more  

Haven't used the revos. Pfleuger president is a fine reel. The only time I buy a spinning reel that isn't a Pfleuger these days is if Shimano or comparable has a sale deal that is too good to pass up. Just hard to beat Pfleuger at the price point. This is all of course just my personal preferences, so take that for what it is  

Hope this is helpful to you in some way. 

I agree whole heartedly that the loomis line is not its best with the e6x. I was more refering to the characteristics of the mbr843c vs st croix 71 mhf. I own an nrx and e6x, there is no comparison in sensitivity. I also own the ltb and mojo 7'1 mhf. Id still think the loomis more well rounded of  a rod than either of the two croix. I own both of those as well and love them for what i ise them for 

Thanks for your input OKJoe. i like where the conversation is going.

let me try this from a different angle, is there HUGE difference between a 60 dollar ugly stick from walmart and the MOJO/E6X rods?

There is a huge difference. When I picked u please my first nice rod I was Absolutely blown away by it. There is even a bug difference between an ugly stick and a $100 rod. Go for either of them and you won't regret it.

9 hours ago, Leanback said:

Thanks for your input OKJoe. i like where the conversation is going.

let me try this from a different angle, is there HUGE difference between a 60 dollar ugly stick from walmart and the MOJO/E6X rods?

My wife just started fishing with me this year using an older Bass Pro something or another inexpensive rod. She was blown away when she fished with a BPS Carbonlite that I have which is your typical $100 range rod. She now has a Mojo and loves it. She didn't know what she was looking for but told me she loved how she could feel the bottom with the Carbonlite.  That's a move in the right direction. 

• Like 1