Sign in to follow this  
looney4largemouth

Spinning reels

Wanted to know if you all knew much about the Penn Fierce or Penn Battle spinning reels.  They are saltwater reels, but some of the smaller models would be perfect for bass fishing.  My question is, if a reel says that it is rated for 10lb mono or fluoro, would it be okay to go one size up and use 12lb?  It would let me use a little heavier line on a smaller reel. Thanks

Mechanically the reel would handle it just fine.  But you start getting into line manageability issues if you try to use too thick a line on a small spinning reel.

• Like 1

Different lines are different.  CXX is going to stay on the spool worse than Tatsu in the same diameter, but you must be generally cautious of your spool size when selecting a line test.  Trying to put too heavy a line on too small a reel & spool will result in frustration, disaster, heartache and regret.  Likely in that order.  Spinning reels are more meant for using drag to manage lighter lines IMO, so try to go that route rather than acting like it's a deep sea reel or casting rig and just throwing rope.  

• Like 1

Thanks, you guys for the input.  For example, if a real is rated for 6lb/255yds, 8lb, 175yds, 10lb/140yds (mono), would it be a good idea to give 12 lb a try, or should I make out with 10lb and rely on the drag a little more? 

i have a Penn Fierce i use in the 4000 size for catfishing, i have it spooled with 17lb sufix siege. you may want a smaller size for bass fishing though. and you could probably get by with 12lb line on the 3000 size reel, any smaller size reel and i would go with a smaller line...