my new bow mount minn kota overheated my atwood plug.i am thinking of just using a standard electric outlet and plug to replace it.i would use a outdoor  receptacle. any opinions or suggestions? i think i might need a inline fuse or breaker. any help would be appreciated.

Standard outlet will not handle the current. That TM could be pulling 30 - 40amps when on max. If you check with Graingers they have a 75 amp connector (flat and usually shown as gray but come in several colors, but both ends have to be the same color) like they use on golf carts chargers etc. These are the best. I think BPS and Cabela's has them also. You will need two, one  flips over and plugs into the other so there is no seperate male/female.

Now, if you are running a 12/24 volt motor, they are not going to work because you've got to connect three wires and those only have two. You would have to use a second one for the other wire and just use one terminal in it. Lowes or HD is you next option with a large round three/four pin plug and receptical that will handle that much current. The problem with that is you're gonna pay close to $70 for both ends.

Most marine dealers sell circuit breakers that connect to the battery post and you connect the TM cable to it. I would get at least a 40 amp and a 45 if they have them. Get one smaller and you may start popping the breaker evertime you go very far on max.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had the same problem with my TM, It turned out that the 2 unused screws on the plug actually hold a jumper together and they were loose, causing the current to arc and melt the plug. I was also loosing power at times and had to wiggle the plug to get it to work. After tightening the screws on the plug I have had NO problems.