Sign in to follow this  
edfitzvb

Having BIG fun on closed golf course

A local golf course went out of business recently, and the water hazards have nice fish that haven't seen a lot of lures.Years ago they would let me fish it occasionally, but when it changed hands the last time the answer was always "no." Now they are out of business but the bass are still there. I have caught three bass in the last 2 hours of fishing that are 19-20 inches long. I would estimate weight at 4-5 pounds each. All caught yesterday or today and all caught on a Jitterbug, so the strike was fun. It doesn't get much better than this. The only problem is, I saw more people today tan yesterday. It was too good to last, but it is fun for now.

• Like 6

Sounds like you had a great time fishing! Enjoy it as much as you can now, since before you know it other fishermen will start fishing these recently opened ponds and the fishing pressure will increase to the point they wont bite as much as they do now.

Too late. My son went the other day and counted 15 people fishing. You'll notice that nowhere in my post did I give a name, but SOMEBODY obviously has been spreading the word. Oh well... I had big fun for a while there...

Closed golf courses have some of the best fishing! I used sneak into them at night as a kid and throw topwaters.

8 hours ago, edfitzvb said:

Too late. My son went the other day and counted 15 people fishing. You'll notice that nowhere in my post did I give a name, but SOMEBODY obviously has been spreading the word. Oh well... I had big fun for a while there...

If people see you catching fish they will fish your same spot and tell others,happens all the time.Small bodies of water show signs of highly pressured water much sooner than big bodies of water.I would still fish those ponds if I where you,but try to fish times where other people are not there.

AND throw stuff that the fish don't see often. I have caught some nice bass on the old Arbogast AC plug in chalk shad and rainbow

I know what location you speak of and after living in the area for over 30 years I have yet had the privilege to shore fish it. I'll assume you have not car topped a boat in there yet?

HopeHope the proposed shopping mall doesn't ruin the impoundment. 

But at least we still have the rest of the surrounding lakes to fish.

Wonder if it too has Walleyes?

Probably too swallow though, I'll bet.

Are you part of the bassaholics?

If so, I fished one early spring tourney with you guys this year. I like Bromley. 

JD