Kyrazzy7

The Best bass I ever caught

I hear them say all the time. The best fishing is right before the storm. Today's forecast, partly sunny high of 85 with 80% chance of thunderstorms. The Last few days have been well into the 100's so the cooler weather seemed like a nice Time to fish. Now In my area, LMB are hard to come by. I live in Tri cities WA.  Where we are dominated by smallmouth on the Columbia river, which is great an all but I like the green fish. We do have some nice little lakes and ponds that hold some pretty decent LM, but to catch one on the main body of water (Columbia river) is, well a surprise around here. Now this same spot I fished today is also where I caught my PB LMB. For some reason they like to hangout in this marina. Anyways, I get to the spot today and was able to see this fish sitting on top of this rock. I mean, you couldn't sit on this rock any better if you had a lawn chair. He really didn't look that big but I wanted him. I tried everything. Chatterbaits, buzzbaits, poppers, frogs, senkos, spinnerbaits, crankbaits, etc. finally I committed to pitching a red and brown 3/8ounce jig with a craw trailer. After about 50-60 pitches to this fish, having him basically push it off his rock it happened. I saw him open his mouth and the color change from white to red and I set the hook. (Took about 45 min) I landed the fish and to my surprise he weighed 3.09 (bigger than it looked under water) I was so happy! After working so hard to try and catch this fish for so long I got him! I've never had to work this hard for a fish in my life so the feeling of my patience pulling off was tremendous! Even though he wasn't the biggest fish I've ever caught it definitely feels like the best.

so id like to hear some of your stories of perseverance. Catching a fish you could see but having to work hard for it. Or even a fish you could feel but couldn't get it to fully eat the lure for a while. Cause after all, nothing feels better than working hard and your patience paying off! 

Thanks for reading guys. Look forward to hearing your stories!

• Like 6

My eldest son, several years back, was not having 
much luck bass fishing, so I took him out during the 
spawn in our canoe to catch an "easy" target, LOL.

I positioned him near a bed with a large bass on it
and for about an hour he tried everything I had to
catch that bass. I finally told him to try a rattle trap,
just jigging it up and down. I was ready to move 
along, but stuck in there for his sake.

He finally caught that bass - all 5.9 pounds of it!!

Was on cloud 9 for a week or so after that.

• Like 5

I've never had anything like that. You just ticked him off finally lol. 

I did waste about half a bag of senko's several years back when I first started. Kept pitching under a bridge and getting the worm bit in half. Finally trolled over there and saw about 20 bream. I could a swore it was a bass biting lol

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Darren. said:

My eldest son, several years back, was not having 
much luck bass fishing, so I took him out during the 
spawn in our canoe to catch an "easy" target, LOL.

I positioned him near a bed with a large bass on it
and for about an hour he tried everything I had to
catch that bass. I finally told him to try a rattle trap,
just jigging it up and down. I was ready to move 
along, but stuck in there for his sake.

He finally caught that bass - all 5.9 pounds of it!!

Was on cloud 9 for a week or so after that.

Haha! Awesome! It's all about patience!

12 minutes ago, riverbasser said:

I've never had anything like that. You just ticked him off finally lol. 

I did waste about half a bag of senko's several years back when I first started. Kept pitching under a bridge and getting the worm bit in half. Finally trolled over there and saw about 20 bream. I could a swore it was a bass biting lol

That's funny! But at least you found out what it was! Could've been a 10lber for all you knew!

Keep Em coming guys!

• Like 1

I have many stories I can give, but I will give the story of me putting my cousin on his biggest bass to date.

A couple months ago my cousin called me and asked me if I can take him fishing since he along with other members of my family where going to visit soon. I told him yes and spent the next week or so teaching him over the phone what lures to use and why. Fast forward, my cousin arrives and I take him to a lake where I have caught many big bass from. I tie the lure on his line, tell him how to fish it, and he gets a big bite in less than a hours time fishing with me.After a quick fight he gets the bass close to shore, I get in the water, and lip his 7 pound bass. I proceeded to take a couple pictures of him holding his bass, and quickly released it so it can be caught another day. You should of seen the smile on that boy's face it was priceless! Since then, my cousin has been fishing for bass every single weekend and I am happy I was the one who got him into this hobby.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, soflabasser said:

I have many stories I can give, but I will give the story of me putting my cousin on his biggest bass to date.

A couple months ago my cousin called me and asked me if I can take him fishing since he along with other members of my family where going to visit soon. I told him yes and spent the next week or so teaching him over the phone what lures to use and why. Fast forward, my cousin arrives and I take him to a lake where I have caught many big bass from. I tie the lure on his line, tell him how to fish it, and he gets a big bite in less than a hours time fishing with me.After a quick fight he gets the bass close to shore, I get in the water, and lip his 7 pound bass. I proceeded to take a couple pictures of him holding his bass, and quickly released it so it can be caught another day. You should of seen the smile on that boy's face it was priceless! Since then, my cousin has been fishing for bass every single weekend and I am happy I was the one who got him into this hobby.

That's what it's all about! Im Originally from Alaska and only had fished salmon, steelhead and halibut until about a year ago, when a good friend of mine brought me bass fishing and I was hooked! I love stories like that. Since my first time fishing for bass I have brought at least 10-15 of my friends bass fishing for their time. 

I know we have more good stories of fishing out there guys. Let's hear them!

• Like 1

This story is about a bedding fish, but a little different than what you asked for.

I was out the first Saturday of this past April, with the spawn coming to an end and only a few stragglers on beds.  At mid-day, I was coming back to my dock when a gardener working 2 doors down started waving me over.  As I pulled closer, he pointed towards the water & said in broken English "He has been watching me all morning".  Stuck between the seawall & a paddleboat, I see a bed with a small male & large female locked on, facing the shoreline & the gardener.  I back the boat off, make a couple of casts but neither fish moves, they just continue to focus on the human standing in front of them.  I go ahead & dock my boat at my house & walk over to my neighbors house to get a better view.  As I do, a carp swims by the bed, only to get chased off by the male.

About that time, my neighbors' 4 grandchildren come down to the dock.  I lifted each of them up, had them put on my sunglasses so each could see the bed & the fish.  I always try to teach these kids about the fish, so I was explaining why the bass continued to stay so close to shore when they obviously saw the gardener standing nearby.  As the gardener finished up & left, one of the kids asked if I could catch the bigger fish.  I told them I could try, but it was more likely the smaller bass would bite and that it may take a long time for me to get the female to take a lure.  I wanted to set their expectations to not get frustrated when it took a long time to get her to bite.

With the gardener gone, I went back to my boat, pulled around to the bed and cast a 5" wacky senko past the bed, up onto the seawall.  As I pulled it quietly into the water & to the edge of the bed, the female turned towards it.  I hopped it once up into the bed and she swam over & dropped nose down.  I didn't see her inhale, but my line jumped, so I set the hook.  She immediately took off for deeper water & I landed her a few minutes later as the crowd of children roared their approval.  So much for setting expectations, she bit on the first cast!!

I brought her back to my dock to show the kids and they were amazed at the size of her head & mouth.  She weighed 5 lbs, 4 oz, but had already dropped most of her eggs and probably would have been well over 6 lbs just a few weeks earlier.  The kids got to see her swim away, although she didn't return to the nest immediately.

5 lb 4 oz bass length 4-2-16 (640x478).jpg

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, OCdockskipper said:

This story is about a bedding fish, but a little different than what you asked for.

I was out the first Saturday of this past April, with the spawn coming to an end and only a few stragglers on beds.  At mid-day, I was coming back to my dock when a gardener working 2 doors down started waving me over.  As I pulled closer, he pointed towards the water & said in broken English "He has been watching me all morning".  Stuck between the seawall & a paddleboat, I see a bed with a small male & large female locked on, facing the shoreline & the gardener.  I back the boat off, make a couple of casts but neither fish moves, they just continue to focus on the human standing in front of them.  I go ahead & dock my boat at my house & walk over to my neighbors house to get a better view.  As I do, a carp swims by the bed, only to get chased off by the male.

About that time, my neighbors' 4 grandchildren come down to the dock.  I lifted each of them up, had them put on my sunglasses so each could see the bed & the fish.  I always try to teach these kids about the fish, so I was explaining why the bass continued to stay so close to shore when they obviously saw the gardener standing nearby.  As the gardener finished up & left, one of the kids asked if I could catch the bigger fish.  I told them I could try, but it was more likely the smaller bass would bite and that it may take a long time for me to get the female to take a lure.  I wanted to set their expectations to not get frustrated when it took a long time to get her to bite.

With the gardener gone, I went back to my boat, pulled around to the bed and cast a 5" wacky senko past the bed, up onto the seawall.  As I pulled it quietly into the water & to the edge of the bed, the female turned towards it.  I hopped it once up into the bed and she swam over & dropped nose down.  I didn't see her inhale, but my line jumped, so I set the hook.  She immediately took off for deeper water & I landed her a few minutes later as the crowd of children roared their approval.  So much for setting expectations, she bit on the first cast!!

I brought her back to my dock to show the kids and they were amazed at the size of her head & mouth.  She weighed 5 lbs, 4 oz, but had already dropped most of her eggs and probably would have been well over 6 lbs just a few weeks earlier.  The kids got to see her swim away, although she didn't return to the nest immediately.

5 lb 4 oz bass length 4-2-16 (640x478).jpg

Man, that's so awesome! Just like anything in life I think it's really important to teach kids a lesson in anything we do. You telling them how it could take a while taught patience. (Even though you got her on the first cast!) but man that's a great fish! And a Great story! Thanks for sharing!

Anyone else have any good stories?! I know there's a ton out there! 

This won't be a bedding story but a story of learning coupled with a little humor.

My work schedule puts me on the water during the evening hours and doesn't leave much time to fish. However, anytime is time I'll take. So this particular evening, the ol' lady and I take my daughter (5) fishing. It was early prespawn, during the evening, so it wasn't a suprise that when we walked out on the long dock, we saw a few bass up on the shallows looking to eat. They all darted off in opposite directions with one particular one going straight for a submerged log. So keeping that in mind, I rig up my daughters 5ft Lady Zebco with a drop shot - SK Green Pumpkin Dream Shot. She's all excited and can barely control herself. She's not quite capable of casting so I threw it out toward the log a few times for her. Guiding her through what to do but with no luck. After awhile, she (my daughter) loses interest. I cast it out there by the log and go to hand the rod to her but she'd off playing with something else. Well, I'm forced to reel it in right?! BAM. Caught a small LM. My daughter was half stoked and half disappointed she didn't catch it.

Funny part is that was the first bass I've ever caught on a drop shot rig. With a 5ft pink, right-handed (I'm left), Lady Zebco w/ 6lb purple mono.

img_20160416_0752551.jpg

• Like 1

I was on a local river last week, and the largemouth had pulled up on beds. I saw a nice male and a hefty female so I pulled my kayak up on the bank and snuck to them. The female showed zero interest and even though nothing except for my chest and head was visible over the boulder I hid behind to cast from, she would repeatedly swim down the bank and stare up at me for long periods of time. They don't get big by being stupid. I decided to catch the male anyways. After 15 minutes I brought him from nosing down on the white jig to wolfing it down and heading for deeper water. I caught him, then took him back to my kayak to release him in hopes that it would buy me some times to catch the female. She pulled up on the bed but the first few pitches she would leave. I found that if I laid the jig in the bed and waited for her to swim back, she would nose down on it but remained 6" away.

After a few minutes of that she would finally stay on the bed. I tried bumping her nose to see if that would make her mad, but she did not like that at all and left the bed. When she came back I started swimming the jig a few inches in front of her nose. Her body language began to change and I knew I could get this fish to bite. I kept pitching the jig in the bed and I guess I found the "sweet spot" or whatever they call it. She picked up the jig by the trailer a couple times, and finally I got her to eat it. Well, I just rolled her, but on my very next pitch she still was aggressive and I figured this would give me a second opportunity. 

To my dismay, I watched as the male from earlier returned from the depths, the female left, and that was that.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, SemperBass said:

This won't be a bedding story but a story of learning coupled with a little humor.

My work schedule puts me on the water during the evening hours and doesn't leave much time to fish. However, anytime is time I'll take. So this particular evening, the ol' lady and I take my daughter (5) fishing. It was early prespawn, during the evening, so it wasn't a suprise that when we walked out on the long dock, we saw a few bass up on the shallows looking to eat. They all darted off in opposite directions with one particular one going straight for a submerged log. So keeping that in mind, I rig up my daughters 5ft Lady Zebco with a drop shot - SK Green Pumpkin Dream Shot. She's all excited and can barely control herself. She's not quite capable of casting so I threw it out toward the log a few times for her. Guiding her through what to do but with no luck. After awhile, she (my daughter) loses interest. I cast it out there by the log and go to hand the rod to her but she'd off playing with something else. Well, I'm forced to reel it in right?! BAM. Caught a small LM. My daughter was half stoked and half disappointed she didn't catch it.

Funny part is that was the first bass I've ever caught on a drop shot rig. With a 5ft pink, right-handed (I'm left), Lady Zebco w/ 6lb purple mono.

img_20160416_0752551.jpg

Haha I have had very similar experiences while fishing with my daughter! (4yrs old) an catching a fish on a new setup is always great. I am yet to catch a fish on a drop shot. That'll be my next quest!

11 hours ago, everythingthatswims said:

I was on a local river last week, and the largemouth had pulled up on beds. I saw a nice male and a hefty female so I pulled my kayak up on the bank and snuck to them. The female showed zero interest and even though nothing except for my chest and head was visible over the boulder I hid behind to cast from, she would repeatedly swim down the bank and stare up at me for long periods of time. They don't get big by being stupid. I decided to catch the male anyways. After 15 minutes I brought him from nosing down on the white jig to wolfing it down and heading for deeper water. I caught him, then took him back to my kayak to release him in hopes that it would buy me some times to catch the female. She pulled up on the bed but the first few pitches she would leave. I found that if I laid the jig in the bed and waited for her to swim back, she would nose down on it but remained 6" away.

After a few minutes of that she would finally stay on the bed. I tried bumping her nose to see if that would make her mad, but she did not like that at all and left the bed. When she came back I started swimming the jig a few inches in front of her nose. Her body language began to change and I knew I could get this fish to bite. I kept pitching the jig in the bed and I guess I found the "sweet spot" or whatever they call it. She picked up the jig by the trailer a couple times, and finally I got her to eat it. Well, I just rolled her, but on my very next pitch she still was aggressive and I figured this would give me a second opportunity. 

To my dismay, I watched as the male from earlier returned from the depths, the female left, and that was that.

That's crazy! Almost the same thing that happened to me! 

The story of the largemouth on the rock continues!!

So in my original post I didn't mention that during my efforts to catch the rock fish, I saw an absolute toad swimming the bank (probably 5-6lbs). So yesterday I went back down to that same corner to see if I could try and catch the big girl. I get there and the wind is blowing pretty good, so I'm not able to see into the water to good. So I'm just throwing out this rattle trap I have to see if I can get a reaction strike from the big girl. Well during one of my cast the rattle trap runs right over the same big rock that I caught the first fish off, AND I SEE THE SAME FISH FOLLOW IT TO THE EDGE OF THE ROCK AND STOP! I thought to myself, there's no way the same fish from two days ago is back on this rock. And the first time I was there I was alone and didn't have my phone so none of my friends believed me. Well this time I was prepared! I had both my phone, and a friend with me to witness this fish and his rock! So I start the pitch the rattle trap 15 ft past the fish and run it over his rock. After ten minutes he hit the rattle! I made a terrible hook set and he shook it out!  So again like the first day I'm determined to catch this fish! (Again) haha

so now my buddy starts to believe me and I'm getting excited about landing him. I mean after all he was a decent fish 3-31/2lbs. Anyways another couple minutes go by and I watch him eat the rattle and I set hook and he's mine!

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

except not!.....

i fight him into shore and swing him up into the air. ( meanwhile my friend is pulling out his phone laughing, saying "you weren't joking about that fish")

and that's when it happens...

as I grab the line about two feet above the fish with my right hand and my pole in my left the fish gives a violent shake and snaps my line!!! ???

Rattle, still hooked perfectly on the side of his mouth he plops into the water and I watch sadly as he swims away with my 10$ lure. 

So now, there's this fish with whom I've battled that has now got 1 up on me. That has my lure, and I'm now more determined than ever to catch him and get it back!

not only for the lure but for his health as well. 

An so the story continues. And hopefully comes to an end tomorrow, when I go back down there to see if I can find him again!

I know it sounds crazy and made up but when I do catch that fish (again again) and I will! I will put a photo up of him for all to see! 

4 hours ago, Kyrazzy7 said:

Haha I have had very similar experiences while fishing with my daughter! (4yrs old) an catching a fish on a new setup is always great. I am yet to catch a fish on a drop shot. That'll be my next quest!

That's crazy! Almost the same thing that happened to me! 

That's Kyrazzy

• Like 1

Update! 

Went down the the spot to see if I could find the fish and I can happily report that the fish has spit the rattle trap he had on his lip and lives happily on his rock once again. For sh*ts n giggles I pitched a jig at him a few times and when it hit the water he'd turn at it and swim away. Than of course return to his rock once I retrieved my lure ha. So I'm glad he's still alive. And now I shall leave him be :). Oh and here's proof of my fish and his rock :) you can see the white spot on his mouth where the trap was. Not sure how he got the treble out? But oh well

Ha had to hold my phone up to my polarized glasses and zoom in for you guys to be able to see him  cheers and thanks again for reading. tight lines 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1