BFBob

Black lake NY.

Heading up to black lake NY this weekend for the week. Any reports would help!! Been going there for the last 5 years so I have an idea but it seems to change year to year water level makes it fish different. Thanks

Only fished Black Lake for a week a few years ago. Fishing was absolutely incredible. So many bass and pike, and a few accidental walleye and crappie catches. I want to go back! 

Agree, can be a bass haven, I hope this year is another good one. Most people fish the Saint Lawrence river but I have a smaller bass boat. I go the week before bass opens and we have the lake to ourselves for the most parts. The spawn is done so no bed fishing. Good weed growth at this time of year but its not overwhelming I hear it gets real thick by late June. It seems most of the locals pan fish they almost consider bass a nuisance fish and I don't think anybody targets pike except through the ice. Let you no how we make out.

• Like 1

Update on black lake for anyone interested. Weather was up and down the week started out cold and windy, water temps dropped into the low 60s.The last 4 days got warmer to hot by the end of the week. I don't think the fish knew what to do.

We still caught plenty of bass even with the weather swings. I caught most of mine on a Carolina rig dragging a Zman  FattyZ California Craw 5". I probably stuck with it too long. I fished the many shoals on the lake and did pretty well. Mostly early in the morning but it kinda turned off as the sun got higher. But for some reason I had a hard time putting that rig down so it killed me for a few hours everyday. I did fish a drop shot and shakey head and did well. The thing that surprised me was that I didn't do as well on the wacky rig. I have a spot behind Conger island that I usually kill them but other than the first 2 cast I didn't catch another fish back there on the wacky.

I did catch a 4+ smallmouth near the causeway which is my best on that lake. Most of the largemouths were 1 1/2 to 2 # range but did catch a few bigger. One thing I notice about the largemouths on black lake is the fight they have in them. They almost fight like smallies, they are a lot of fun!!

All in all it was a good week. Met some real good people and we will be going back next year. Black lake is a great lake it has more fish than any lake I fish other than Bobs lake in Ontario Canada as far as bass goes. And if your into pan fishing you cant beat it.

• Like 2

Sounds like you had a great time. I fished Black Lake for a week  5 years ago and want to go back. We fished it in the fall and the top water action was incredible. We were fishing in the southern end near the Indian River. Occasionally we would run up by Pin Island and Upper Deep Bay.  Mile Arm Bay has a ton of LMB in the 4lb range. Especially in the lily pads. 

• Like 1

I would go back tomorrow if I could. Lots of camps all over the lake and they for the most part very inexpensive. We stayed at the Log Cabins pleasantly surprised how nice the cabins were. I've gone alone and paid 60 a day rite on the water. Its worth another look after 5 years if your into bass. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the report sounds like a truly amazing trip. I'm about 45-1 hour away from black lake and never really tried it yet. Is there a motor restriction on the lake at all? 

No restrictions, Black Lake is a pretty sizable lake.