Sign in to follow this  
Brett's_daddy

Swim Bait Rod?

I'm thinking of getting a Heavy action casting rod for the heavier swim baits (like the Savage Gear 3d line through) but not looking to spend a ton of money so the rods I'm looking at are as follows: Berkley Lightning Rod Shock (7'6", lure weight 3/4oz. - 2 1/2 oz.), Bass Pro Graphite Casting (7'6", lure weight 3/8oz. - 2oz.), Cabelas Tourney Trail (7', lure weight 3/8oz. - 2 1/4oz.) or Cabelas Fish Eagle 50 (7'6" Xtra Heavy, lure weight 1/2oz. - 2 3/4oz.). All of these are right around the $55 price point which is right where I want to stay as I don't know how often this rod would get used for other than the medium to large swim baits and maybe large deep diving crank baits. Which one out of those would be best? Also would my Lews Tournament Pro be able to handle the 65lb. braid to throw those bigger lures?

Hi,
I just went through the same exercise a couple of days ago.  A little tip that I might want to give you. Rather safe a bit more money and get a decent rod.

Here are some options: 
* Dobyns Fury Casting Rod 7'9" Med Hvy Swimbait  (120USD)

* Daiwa DX Swimbait Casting Rod 8' Heavy (110 USD)

* Genesis II Cast Rod 7'9" Large Swimbait Heavy (150 USD)

* Okuma Guide Select "a" Series Swimbait Rod 7'11" XH (125 USD)

Also, there are 4th of July sales coming up that could save you some money as well.

Personally I went for the Phenix M7'9 Inshore XH. That rod costs quite a bit more than you put in your budget, but it is a quality rod that can be used for multiple applications.

Take your time with the decision. Rather buy once that many times. ;)

The problem is I'm not sure how often I would be using this rod so I hate to spend a lot (to me anything over $100 is a lot of money) of money on a rod that will be used half as much as my main Medium rod. Another thing is this rod has to fit in my small SUV so anything longer than 7'6" is probably not viable. Another thing I might do is buy a 6'6" MH Lightning Rod Shock that has a lure weight of 3/8oz. - 1 1/2oz. which will allow me to throw the 6" Savage Gear swim bait, it's on clearance at Wal-Mart for $16...that would at least give me a chance to see how much I'll throw the swim baits and see if it warrants me getting a better rod next season.

Cant go wrong with 16USD. Just a warning though. Once you are throwing the bigger lurs, you eventually will get bigger baits, which will make ask yourselve why you did not spend a bit more for a decent swimbait rod.

I do not know the  6'6" MH Lightning Rod Shock but it sounds too light for the 6inch swimbait you are referring to. All of the ones I know of are heavier than what the rod supports.

Plus with a MH set up you might not be able to throw the lure that far, plus hook set is gonna be harder, etc, etc. ..

Safe up/wait for 4th of July discounts ;)

Actually the 6" Savage Gear swim bait is 1.5oz. so that clearance Lightning Rod should be able to handle it as it's rated up to 1.5oz. For $16 it might be worth it, than I could judge just how often I'd be throwing those bigger baits and judge whether I should upgrade to a better heavy rod next season.

• Like 1

For $16 I'd say give the Shock a shot. If you don't like it, you can sell it for more than that on the bay.

As someone who tried to get away on the cheap when I first got in to swimbaits, I seriously suggest spending a little more and getting one of the rods mentioned above. 

• Like 1