Dana Fry

trouble with magnetic brake system

I took apart my magnetic brake system on my team daiwa tp1 batcaster to clean and now it seems that the magnetic drag is set on high no matter what setting I turn the dial to. I can't backlash the reel and I can't get any distance with my casts.  I also have a team daiwa td2 which uses the the same left side plate and the reel then works fine.  Any videos or instruction how to put the magnetic brake back together.

I used to have some td1 and td2 reels, but it's been a while. Im going from memory, so if I say something stupid don't tell anybody.

Take the side plate off. Rotate the outside braking dial. Does the magnetic ring rotate?. If it doesn't, I seem to remember that on the td1, it is possible to put it back in place without the gear teeth meshing with the gear turned by the dial.

If the magnet ring rotates, then snaps back , the ring magnet has come loose from the holder, a not uncommon problem with the early Magforce reels. It can be glued back in place.

I think it would be best to find someone who works on reels professionally.  Have it gone through. Check with a quality local tackle shop often they know someone locally and you would not have to ship it out. 

There's nothing in there to required disassembly for cleaning going forward. Syncing the dial and mags can be a pain. If you want to email or call I'll try to help you or you can send it in and I'll take care of it.