Kyrazzy7

Gambler cane toad

Just got an order of about 50 of these to try and I have a few questions for people who have fished them. 

1. Does a twist lock double hook work better with them or a twist lock single?

2. Do you find it more affective to fish them upside down? (With the flat side up) 

3. Do they come through cover ok? Or do they get hung up because they are Texas rigged?

We fished them on a  single  ewg hook with a screw-in clear plastic nose cone from the folks that made the skinny dipper - used them on breezy days - horny toad on calm days - if I couldn't find a plastic nose cone I used a 1/32 bullet weight - having any kind of nose cone brings them through stuff much better than any other method.

• Like 1

A 6MM round plastic bead will work to keep it from snagging.  You can peg it,  or not.   It will cause the lead end of the hook to not dig into stalk plants like spadderdock.  Just rolls right through.  Single hook,  screw in,  or not.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, frogflogger said:

We fished them on a  single  ewg hook with a screw-in clear plastic nose cone from the folks that made the skinny dipper - used them on breezy days - horny toad on calm days - if I couldn't find a plastic nose cone I used a 1/32 bullet weight - having any kind of nose cone brings them through stuff much better than any other method.

2 hours ago, dave said:

A 6MM round plastic bead will work to keep it from snagging.  You can peg it,  or not.   It will cause the lead end of the hook to not dig into stalk plants like spadderdock.  Just rolls right through.  Single hook,  screw in,  or not.

Alright. Thanks guys! In heading to the tackle shop than to my frog hole. 

These work well with the Ribbit Double Take hooks.  Love the colors Gambler has for these frogs. Very underrated bait.

• Like 1

Would you guys recommend fishing them with fluoro?