Brett's_daddy

Berkley Portable Line Spooling Station

My Dad bought me this from Cabelas the other day...http://www.cabelas.com/product/berkley-reg-portable-line-spooler/1875406.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dberkley%2Bportable%2Bline%2Bspooling%2Bstation%26x%3D10%26y%3D6%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%252BProducts&Ntt=berkley+portable+line+spooling+station, After reading the mixed reviews there seems to be a couple of things wrong with this item and I'm wondering if any of you have this item and have made modifications to it to get it to work better? One major complaint is the diameter of the rod which holds the spool of fishing line is too small for some of the spools larger diameter center holes. I was thinking if there might be some sort of a rubber or hard foam coupler that either has a hole that the rod would fit through or could have a hole drilled through it so it would be a snug fit for the rod but provide enough added thickness to also make a snug fit through the larger center hole of the line spool which would stop the wobbly spin that some people complain about. The second major complaint is that the tension bar has a rubber pad on it that wears down and little rubber pieces start coming off on the line you're spooling into your reel. Is there a replacement for the rubber piece, maybe wrap some felt around it or just replace it all together with a piece of felt? I would definitely be interested to hear if anybody has tried some mods to fix these problems and how they have worked out for you?

You should be able to make a sleeve out of flexible PVC tubing from a hardware store. I use an old cymbal stand as a line filler, and that's what I used for an arbor for the spool.

I have been using the same one that fishballer06 uses for maybe 15 years.  That thing works fine for me. If you just got your model and you do not like it I would try to exchange it for this one.

Unfortunately it was given as a gift so i don't have the receipt and we don't have a Cabela's near where we live.