Sign in to follow this  
B1gD4ddy

What kind of rod and reel should one get to...

Hello all, my question may not be as straight forward as I hope but will give it a shot to see what all your thoughts are..

I want to get a rod and reel set that will cover 2 styles, frog fishing & jig foshing.  Can 1 rod and reel be used for both?  Currently I'm using a medium action, I looked at the rod and the it didn't say what the power was pic from what was attached to the rod at purchase  :/ I use this rod for everything from frog fishing to walking baits to jigs well.. everything...

20160727_175711.jpg

You CAN use a stick from the woods to fish with. This answer comes down to your budget, short and long term. Also, what you can live with. Is your budget short term able to buy two rods? Is your budget long term about to buy two rods? If your answer to both of those is no, then yes you can cover both jigs and frogs with a medium heavy, or a heavy, fast action rod of your length preference. If you answered yes. Then you'll almost certainly be better off buying rods that are rated more closely for the specific type of fishing you'd like to use them for.

For jigs I use a 7' 2" HF Tatula, for Frogs I have a 7' 6" HF Vendetta, although the Vendetta I would say is much stiffer than the Tatula, it just varies by brand, and I actually like the extra stiffness for frogs. If you have to get one rod to do both I would say some type of Heavy, I know there are some guys who like mod-fast actions for both of those techniques, I like fast. Some guys also like MH's for both of those techniques, there is a certain level of preference and no one can really tell you what is best for you here. I would highly advise against a medium though. 

As for the reel, most guys fish these two techniques on a baitcaster, it doesn't mean you have to. Get something with decent drag though, you'll be giving it a workout with these techniques.