Sign in to follow this  
Jonathan Evans

Help with line twist.

I have been using a fluke lately and With the fluke you twitch it and let it fall on slack line. Today I noticed that I got real bad line twist and it effects my lure action I think. Can someone tell me how to get the line twist out? Thanks.

You can add a swivel which will completely eliminate line twist.  I also find that throwing flukes on casting gear instead of spinning negates a lot of the twist since the line comes off of the reel straight instead of in coils.

• Like 4

If you fish from a boat simply let some line out with nothing but a weight tied to the end, get on your trolling motor and go until you reach the end of the line, then reel back in, pinching the line with your fingers as you reel.

If you fish from shore, find an open area, tie the end of the line to a tree branch, fence post, car, etc and reel in the line while pinching the line with your fingers and walk toward where you tied it off at. When you get to where you tied the line, cut it and the line will twist back to where it should be. 

• Like 3

Check out the swivels made by spro they are super small but super strong. I think they call them power swivels

• Like 1

Jonathan, line twist on a spinning rig cannot be avoided.

It can be reduced, but never eliminated.

Try spooling some fluorocarbon onto your spinning reel first; then tie 8-pound braid to the fluorocarbon line to complete the spooling process. The fluorocarbon will stop the braid from slipping on the spinning reel.

You then tie a fluorocarbon leader of the same diameter as shown on the braid's box, if you wish. Many guys and gals just throw the braid without any leader and they do very well.

But you also have to check the braid for line twist as you fish as a small knot in the line can appear in the braid at any time.

Give it a try and let us know how your experiment turns out.

• Like 1

All good advice. Also make sure you're rigging the Fluke straight. If it's even a little off, it will twist your line.

• Like 1

Do this, use a swivel for 1 outing and the line will streighten itself up. Then you can remove it until needed again.