rookieangler

Rookie new to fishing

So i recently took up fishing as a hobby, i started to with trout fishing and had some success. I decided i wanted to also give bass fishing a try. I currently fish most lakes in south king county as well as most of pierce. I haven't got any bass yet tho. I try texas rigged yomato senko with a  1/4 oz weight and also weightless. I use a spinning reel combo. What are some good lakes or ponds to catch bass for a beginner as well as is it to have bait casting setup or spinning i  don't have an crank baits just the strike king and yomato senkos at the moment. Any advice from technique or locations or tackle would be greatly appreciated since i havent caught a fish in weeks.

Fish more often! ;)

• Like 1

Welcome aboard!

Spend some time reading the articles on this site,
they are immensely helpful.

Bass Fishing Basics For Beginners

But for beginners I like to start simple, a spinning setup
with a wacky rig. Cast it near/under docks, laydowns, and
structure. Let it fall on its own - I.e., be patient as it shimmies
down the water column.

The other is TX rigging which you said you are doing...

Welcome to the addiction. Keep it simple to build up your confidence. Fish the way you have until you feel confident. After that, stay with Texas rig but throw a craw, beaver, creature bait until you got it. Go to cranks after that and so on. Take one technique at a time. Don't be in a hurry to learn it all in one week. Also learn about weather, seasons and how your local watts change with the weather. A lot to learn but take it slow and steady. 

Most important, if you are not having fun, enjoying it and relaxing, you are doing it wrong. 

i fished at north lake for a couple hours. I tryed by the lillies and tall grass and by the dock which i fished from. pretty limited on shore fishing there. anyone know a good lake for bass in my area with good bank access, as i don't have a boat.

Look into getting a kayak. 

The senko works Texas rigged weightless as well ! 1/4 can be too heavy sometimes. I'd definitely look into getting some hardbaits. They are fun and produce. You don't have to be a pro with tons of gear to catch bass. 

You need more than just a stick worm tho. Try the ribbon tails and creatures. Zoom flukes and hula twin tail grubs. Lots of companies who make good, proven plastics at affordable prices. 

I would get a few baits to cover various depths , and retrieves. 

1. Some type of top water popper.i like the rapala skitter pop and the rebel pop-r

2 . Some type of lipless crank that you can "yo-yo" through the columns. 

3. a spinner bait and an inline spinner. I like strike king spinner baits. And mepps for the in line spinner. Silver for clear water . Gold for stained. 

4. A suspending jerkbait. I like the xrap. 

5. Several cranks that float and then dive to various depths. I like the bomber A models. If I had a dollar for every bass a bomber caught me. I'd more than have my money back on them. 

6. A jig ! Which is usually a complex retrieve and really has to do with your environment variables. 

Any of the products I gave examples of are strictly preference.  I'm sure someone can comment and give you a total different brand for each of the lures I've named. I, like many, am on a budget . So I've found what works for me. Good luck man. And for your sake , have fun. 

Reading and watching how to videos would be a good starting place. Digest information in small pieces. When watching videos find the videos that explain the "how to" part. If they are showing you how to drop shot make sure they show how to rig one up, how to fish it, and some baits to use for example. Don't get caught up in trying to find videos of guys just out catching fish to maintain a YouTube channel with their subscribers in mind. The other piece is just to get out there on the water and get after it like Catt said. So to summarize... read it, watch it, and then practice it.

You might want to fill out your profile so we know what part of the country you are fishing. What is good in New Hampshire may not work well in Texas. To give accurate information we need to know what kind of water you are fishing.

• Like 1

Learn the dropshot. It'll put a bend in that spinning gear for sure.